Pudding Chooses Ethel Merman Its 'Woman of the Year' for 1966

Hang on to your ears, music lovers--Ethel Merman is coming to Harvard to receive the Hasty Pudding Woman of the Year Award for 1966.

Presented annually in recognition of "great acting skill and feminine qualities," the Woman of the Year Award will be given to Miss Merman tomorrow at the Hasty Pudding. She will be on display for a few moments at 1 p.m. outside of the Pudding.

Despite the general rejoicing over the selection of Miss Merman, several malcontents have expressed disatisfaction with what they regard as a sell-out to "middle-aged taste." Admitting that Miss Merman's gifts differ somewhat from those of Lee Remick, last year's recipient, a spokesman's long history of hit shows and hit songs give her an inalienable right to the title.

Miss Merman has appeared in such Broadway successes as Call Me Madam, Annie Get Your Gun, and Gypsy.

While at Harvard Miss Merman will have lunch with Mayor Daniel J. Hayes Jr. of Cambridge, and members of Hasty Pudding Theatricals. Plans are also being made to have her meet Governor Volpe.

Although under no obligation to sing for those who come to see her, it is rumored that Miss Merman has commissioned a song to be written especially for the occasion.

Inscribed replicas of the original Hasty Pudding Kettle have already been presented to Grace Kelly, Gertrude Lawrence, Debby Reynolds, Jane Fonda, Joanne Woodward, Shirley MacLaine, Rosalind Russell, and Miss Remick.