Leverett Snares Championship in House Fisticuffs

Leverett House walked off with the championship in last night's intramural boxing tournament, and none of the individual boxers walked off with anything more serious than a split lip.

Quincy House took the second place slot, with 13 points to Leverett's 19. Eliot and Winthrop Houses tied for third place with eight points each.

"There were no real knock-downs," said Coach Henry N. Lamar, who directed the tournament, "although a couple of boys were wrestled down".

John Peterson (Winthrop) beat John Youngs (Quincy) in the unlimited weight division for upperclassmen with a TKO in the third. Peterson was last year's intramural champion in that division.

In the 185 lb. division, Steve Crosby (Eliot) stopped Steven Roper (Winthrop) in the first round. The fight was ended because Roper suffered a cut lip which took two stiches to close. Robert Barrett (Leverett) beat Charles Delony (Leverett) at 165 lbs.

In the 155 lb. class, Robert Coleman (Quincy) beat David Whitten (Dunster). Lee Alexander (Quincy) bested Rodolphe d'Erlanger (Eliot) in the 145 lb. finals.

James Lamme (Leverett) won over William O'Day (Leverett); for the 135 lb. title. In the 130 lb. division, Leroy Uyehara (Dunster) hopelessly outclassed Guy Carden (Leverett); the fight was stopped in the first round.

In the freshman finals, Robert Pavich won in the unlimited division, Robert Allen won at 175 lbs., and Richard Domingue took the 165 lb. match with a TKO in the third.

John Hook won the 155 lb. freshman title, Channing Russell won the 135 lb. bout, Christopher Davis took the 135 lb. match.