Directory: '66 Overseas Training Program

Following is a tentative list of training programs for overseas assignments scheduled for Summer 1966.

The index at the bottom of the page lists, by academic major, those programs requiring specific skill or educational background.

If your major subject is not listed in the index, refer to the sections describing the areas of the world in which you wish to work.

LATIN AMERICA

Community Development

101. DOMINICAN REPUBLIC Depending on their backgrounds, Volunteers will work with the Office of Community Development, the Dominican Co-operative Institute, the Tobacco Institute, Ministry of Agriculture of the Forestry Institute on their respective projects for development.

102. DOMINICAN REPUBLIC Volunteers will work with one of several private and governmental agencies, focusing on youth development in urban areas and slums. Volunteer nurses will teach at the Santiago School of Nursing. Vocational education specialists will work in municipally sponsored vocational education schools.

103. COLOMBIA Volunteers will work throughout the country with trained Colombian co-workers in community development teams to assist the Colombian Ministry of Government, Division of Community Action. Architects and engineers will be versed in community action, but will work in their professional capacities.

104. PERU Working with the National Agrarian Reform and Cooperation Popular Volunteers will work with mestizo patrons to understand the campesino (rural peasant) and prepare the campesino for entry into social and economic life when he gets his own land. Specialists will work with Cooperation Popular in pertinent self-help projects.

105. BRAZIL Volunteers will work under the Social Service Foundation in the satellite cities around Brazilia with the illiterate and unskilled peasants. Their counterparts will be the Foundation social workers.

106. GUATEMALA Volunteers will be assigned to largely Indian areas in rural Guatemala. They will work in such areas as agriculture, health, small industries, home arts and cooperatives, attempting to mold attitudes favorable to development, providing machinery through which villagers may help themselves and imparting needed skills.

107. EL SALVADOR Volunteers will work in community development projects in rural villages, urban slums, with mobile health units throughout the country, and with credit unions. The two veterinarians will work with the national livestock agency

108. CHILE Volunteers will work with two agencies, the Foundation de Viviendas y Asistencia Social and the Agrarian Reform Corporation in either the poblaciones (one step above a slum) or rural aldeas (newly formed rural colonies).

109. PERU Volunteers will work closely with governmental and private institutions claiming interest in the barriadas (urban slums resulting from mass migration to the cities), initiating and implementing effective community organizations.

110. HONDURAS Volunteers will work with a new agency, the National Institute of Community Development. They will be assigned to a rural municipal having anywhere from 5-30 villages and will use their special skills in developing both the municipality and the villages. Volunteers in urban areas will work largely with the National Institute of Housing in low-cost housing units.

Education

111. JAMAICA Volunteers will assist the Ministries of Education, Agriculture and Development and Welfare in communities throughout the country. Depending on backgrounds, they will be associate members of the University of West Indies in pre-primary schools, will work in greater and more effective utilization of educational television, will teach in youth camps, or will work to increase the number and effectiveness of co-ops.

112. BRITISH HONDURAS Volunteers will work through the Ministry of Education's Office of Social Development in secondary schools, primary teacher training and village development. Specialists will work in the Department of Public Works or with the Civil Aviation Department.

113. CHILE Volunteers will work as assistant professors and vocational educators in their specific fields and will take part in evening classes, study groups, workshops and cultural organizations at the university to which they are assigned.

114. COLOMBIA Volunteers with science backgrounds with introduce new methods and material in their specialty to secondary school teachers in training. Engineers will be assigned to one of four universities to upgrade engineering instruction in the department. All Volunteers will be responsible to the Ministry of Education.

115. BRAZIL Volunteers will teach their specialties in one of 12 universities where they will work with assistant professors as their counterparts. They will lecture, give seminars, assist in research and interest Brazilian students in community actions work.

116. VENEZUELA Volunteers will teach their specialties in universities in Caracas, Merida, Valencia and at the four campuses of the University of the Orient in eastern Venezuela.

117. ECUADOR Volunteers will teach their specialties in universities and normal schools in Ambato, Gusysquil, Loja and Quito. They, and their co-professors, will be responsible to the Ministry of Education.

118. CHILE Volunteers will teach their specialties as assistants to professors and laboratory instructors at five universities and will become integrated into the total college scene.

Technical and Industrial Education

119. VENEZUELA working with the Ministry of Education. Volunteers will teach manual and industrial arts and home economics in vocational and technical schools and secondary schools.

120. BOLIVIA Volunteers will give technical support to the National Community Development Program, under the Ministry of Agriculture or will teach their specialty in vocational schools in La Paz or Santa Cruz.

121. CHILE Volunteers will teach professional and in-service training courses for laborers, supervisors and instructors in trade schools, small factories and polytechnic institutes throughout Chile. Several Volunteers will serve as technicians in urban slums where small industrial shops are planned.

Rural Education/Community Development

122. BOLIVIA Volunteers will work in rural areas to upgrade education and to do community development, using the school as the focal points for community activity.

Educational Television/Television Literacy

123. COLOMBIA Volunteers will work with the illiteracy Section of the Ministry of Education, developing literacy centers throughout the country, recruiting illiterates and co-workers, organizing and supervising daily educational television Necessary programs and participating in the follow-up among participants and feedback to the Ministry.

Public and Municipal Administration

124. VENEZUELA Venezuela's Foundation for Community Development and Municipal Improvement has been primarily concerned with urban housing projects. Volunteers, by studying, surveying and working on municipal projects in various cities, will help them attain the diversifications they desire.

125. CHILE Volunteers and Chilean Specialists will work in teams under the newly formed Ministry of Urban Affairs in provincial cities throughout the country. Team members will serve as trainers and advisors to local governmental officers in all aspects of public and municipal administration.

Food, Agriculture and 4-H

126. ECUADOR Volunteers will work under the administration of Heifer Projects, Inc. With Ecuadorian counterparts, they will work with campesinos (rural peasants) in lower-level agriculture and community development programs. Veterinarians will teach at three universities; foresters will work on the national forestry development plan; and engineers will work in rural irrigation and construction projects.

127. BOLIVIA Volunteers will work in rural Bolivia with the National Agricultural Extension Service as counterparts for extension agents in agricultural, home arts and community development programs.

128. BRAZIL Volunteers will work with the National School Lunch program in primary school nutrition and related community development activities in the states of Goias and Espirito Santo.

129. BRAZIL Under the Secretariat of Agriculture, Volunteers will work with primary school children in agricultural and other community projects to help them become better farmers, homes economics and citizens. They with form, reactivate or strengthens agriculture clubs in the states of Rio de Janeiro and Mines Gerais.

130. BRAZIL Volunteers will work with three Brazilian organizations in primarily rural areas of Malo Grosso region. Their work in agriculture and the homes arts will involve them in community development work as well.

131. EL SALV ADOR Volunteers will work with local extension agents throughout the country to help expend and strengthens 4-H clubs. They will be responsible to the national 4-H supervisor.

132. COLOMBIA Volunteers will work in rural areas under the technical directions and supervision of United Nations FAO and Colombian National Institute of Nutrition officials. They will be concerned with home economics and agricultural extension activities.

Physical Education

133. ECUADOR Working with the Sports Federations in the provinces. Volunteers will work at grass roots levels to encourage construction of facilities, formation of sports clubs, and camps for the underprivileged, and will probably teach physical education in the local secondary schools. They will also help get underway a strong new program of physical education at Central University in Quito.

134. URUGUAY Working under the Uruguayan Federation of Basketball, Volunteers will work in the interior of Uruguay, using department capitals as their focal points. Each will work with 3 or 4 clubs as coaches and will attempt to expand their club activities. They will also participate in community development activities in their areas.

135. COLOMBIA Under the technical supervision of the American Associations for Health. Physical Education and Recreation and various Colombian agencies. Volunteers will assist in the expansion and improvement of youth programs, physical education programs, sports clubs, etc. throughout the country and will assist in the televising of education programs in health, physical education and recreation.

136. VENEZUELA Volunteers will work in elementary, secondary and teacher training institutions throughout the country, seeking to upgrade physical educations in and the schools and the surrounding community or communities.

137. COSTA RICA Volunteers will work with counterparts in secondary school physical education programs, community recreation programs, and will give courses sponsored by the Ministry of Education to teachers during the summer vacations.

Nursing/Social Work/Head Start

138. HONDURAS Under the Ministry of Health, nurses will teach in the National School of Nursing in La Ceiba, in schools for auxiliaries or in hospitals. Social workers will work with the Justa Nacional de Bienestar Social in community centers, coops, small industries, clubs, health, recreation, arts and crafts and in public health campaigns. Those Volunteers working with the head start program will turn pre-school feeding stations sponsored by the local communuity, municipality or INBS into unofficial kindergartens.

Health

139. CHILE Volunteer nurses will teach formally and on the wards, at hospitals in Valdivia and Tesmuca. Lab technicians will train co-workers in their field hospitals in Valdivia and Antofagesta. Community health educators will work in Valdivia and Temuco and in rural areas doing community development. Hospital administrators will train Chileans to administer new hosptials being built Therapists will teach the clinical practice segment of the OT school at the Rehabilitation Center of the Health Service.

140. BRAZIL Volunteers will work in the specialty in hospitals in the Amazon, doing preventive, curative medicine and will work in health educations of the community. They will work under the State Secetariats of Health in Para, Marashao and Acre.

141. BRAZIL Volunteers will serve Pernambuco, Paraiba, Bahia, Mato Grosso and Sergipe under the State Secretariats of Health and Social Welfare. They will be assigned to local health posts and will work with health post personnel.

Cooperatives

142. VENEZUELA Volunteers, assisting the Department of Cooperatives, will work throughout the country in saving and loan, consumer, transporation, production (agriculture and arts and crafts) and housing cooperatives Area emphasis will be on zuela's central and western states.

143. VENEZUELA Volunteers will assist the Socio-Economic Department of National Agrarian Reform Institute (IAN) i9 the administration and management of the agricultural production cooperatives within the agrarian reform settlements.

144. PERU Volunteers will work with existing co-ops which were hastily formed and need education and guidance if they are not to fail. They will work as trainers and counselors, teaching people to take responsibility for the management of their own affairs through cooperative efforts.

145. CHILE Volunteers will work with specific fishing co-ops along the Chilean coast in their area of specialty. Home economists will work with fishermen's wives in nutrition, general extension and community development work, complementing the work of the men in the program.

Electrical

146. ECUADOR Working under the Ecuadorean Institute of Electrification, Volunteers will help promote and standardize the electrification of the country and help train nationals in construction, operation and maintenance of systems throughout the country. Engineers will design, supervise and help administrate the systems.

147. BRAZIL Volunteers will work with the Special Service of Rural Electrification in Sao Paulo and the Electricity Centers of Mato Grosso, extending the electrical networks of the state. They will set standards for installation, measure capacity of substations and branch lines, stake and check lines, install and inspect meters, supervise construction and maintain and repair installations.

Arts and Crafts

148. LATIN AMERICA REGIONALVolunteers will work in one of Secretarial

149. LATIN AMERICA Volunteers, depending upon their professional qualifications, will serve as as chief secretaries, office managers or secretaries to staff members in Peace Corps offices in AFRICA

Education

TANZANIA Volunteers will teach in secondary schools throughout the country expand the teaching of agricultural science, and shop in the country's upper primary schools. Lawyers will teach law at the university in Dar es Salasm; music teachers will work with the national band and chours being formed.

SIUERRALEONE Following a Government syllabus as an instruction guide, teachers will teach approximately 25 hours a week in one of the following areas: math, science, geography, history, home economics, agriculture, art, English, French, music, business, libray science, physical education.

Volunteers will teach math, science, English, social studies and business throughout Liberia in junior and senior high schools.

UGANDA Under general authority of the Ministry of Education and in all-sections Volunteers will teach biology, physics, chemistry, math, English, history and geography in secondary schools.

NIGERIA Volunteers will teach throughout the country in secondary schools and universities under the Ministry of Education.

WEST CAMEROON Volunteers will teach English, history, geography, math and science in church-operated and government schools throughout West Cameroon.

GUINEA AND TOGO Volunteers will sent program of math and science in secondary schools in the Note: This is a senior year open to college juniors only.

GHANA Under the Ministry of Education, Volunteers will teach math, biology, physics and chemistry in primary and middle schools throughout the country.

FRENCH SPEAKING AFRICA (Ivery Coast, Gabon, Guinea and Togo) Volunteers will teach English as a foreign language, including grammar, composition, literature and conversation.

TANZANIA Volunteers will teach history, geography and math/science in secondary schools throughout the country.

NIGERIA Volunteers will teach English, mathemataics, science, geography, French, and industrial arts in secondary schools throughout the country.

ETHIOPIA Volunteers will teach: English, social studies and vocational subjects in JuniorSecondary Schools; English, social studies, and math and science in Senior secondary schools; and business, law and other subjects at the University Demonstration School.

Health

NIGER Working with the Ministry of Health, Volunteers will help staff a new health center at Domo, the mobile teams attached to it, and the outlying villages. Function of the health centers is to seek and treat the ill, provide a program of health education and preventive medicine, and train medical personnel.

SENEGAL Teams of one Volunteer, Senegalese male nurse, and a Senegalese tarian will work in rural areas, to improve nutritional standards, sanitary practices, and teach hygienic methods of food growing and handling. They will be technically backstopped by UNESCO.

216. TOGO In teams of three and working out of towns with hospitals, Volunteers will visit one village a day on a recurring basis to combine preventive and curative medicine, collect data, make health inspections and teach health practices to adults and children. One nurse will teach public health at the Lome Nursing School.

217. IVORY COAST Volunteers in the maternal and child health program will work in teams with an Ivoirien counterpart midwife setting up parental consulation, well-baby clinics and health and nutritional education programs. The doctor will assist in organization and technical guidance. Other Volunteers will work in the psychiatric hospital in occupational therapy.

218. NIGERIA Volunteers will strengthen the existing programs of the four regional ministries and the Federal Ministry of Health in the fields of public health, preventive medicine and health education at the village level.

219. MALAWI Volunteers will use tuberculosis as a prototype disease around which a system of general domiciliary care and effective health practices can be constructed. They will train African workers to carry on their work.

220. ETHIOPIA Nurses will organize and conduct training courses for "dressers" (health workers). Medical technologists will work with student technicians and college graduates who have degrees in science, teaching them techniques of laboratory work. Health educators will work in two colleges and at four teacher training schools, educating the future teachers and encouraging inclusion of health education material into all science curricula.

Agriculture

221. NIGERIA Volunteers will work in the four regions of Nigeria in comprehensive regional development programs with various ministries of the government. Northern--emphasis will be on livestock management, marketing cooperatives, small business development and community development. Eastern--rural development construction, Young Farmers clubs, surveying and cash crop organizing. Mid-West--development of Young Farmers clubs, schools leaver's farms, forestry, poultry and instruction in construction and rural sociology. Western--ag instruction. Young Farmers clubs, agricultural extension and urban youth club programs.

222. GUINEA Volunteers will, work out of regional farms to put land into production, increase crop production and do village extension work. Others will train personnel in the national agricultural schools and still others will work as palm oil industry agents.

223. NIGER Under the Ministry of Rural Economy, Volunteers will work for various "services" or branches of the Ministry and the Nigerien Credit and Coop Union. Some will help establish cooperatives by furnishing credit to farmers and advising them on crops. Others will teach practical agriculture or help organize a well digging and irrigation program.

Land Settlement

224. TANZANIA Volunteers will work with Village Settlement Agency of the Ministry of Land Settlement and Water Development, organizing and educating the new setters to eventually govern themselves and effect development projects.

225. KENYA Working under the Ministry of Lands and Settlement, Volunteers will work as Land Settlement Officers or assistants, helping in the program of transferring a million acres of land from European to African ownership, and the development and operation of cooperatives.

Domestic Arts/Home Improvement

226. IVORY COAST Volunteers will teach domestic arts at vocational high schools for girls in Bouake and Abidjan as requested by the Ministry of Education.

227. IVORY COAST Under the Ministry of Youth and Sports, Volunteers will work in Ivory Coast female adult education programs known as "Foyer Feminines" to teach Ivoirien women literacy, basic health and home arts and to broaden their horizons. They will work in both urban and rural areas.

Community Development

228. ETHIOPIA Volunteers will work in the community centers of seven large Ethiopian cities. They will aid in the development of effective social welfare programs, such as health education, adult literacy, recreation and handicraft instruction.

Highways

229. ETHIOPIA The planning, administration, and implementation of the Imperial Highway Authority's program to develop a professional highway department in Ethiopia has been hampered greatly by inadequately trained personnel. Volunteers will aim to improve job skills to Ethiopians in the program.

Construction

230. TANZANIA Volunteers will serve as members of field units, under Development Field Offices: their aim will be to stimulate and guide self-help development through encouraging involvement of local people and training them in simple construction and development techniques.

231. SOMALIA Under the Ministry of Education, Volunteers will work in mobile, self-contained teams to build or refurbish one to four room schools, using locally resulted labor and locally available material.

Fisheries

232. TOGO Working under the Service des Peaches with Togolese counterparts, Volunteers will assist in running existant inland fisheries in Central Togo and in the renovation and construction of new dams and fish ponds.

Social Welfare

233. SENEGAL Volunteers working under the Ministry of Health and Social Affairs will open and staff Social. Welfare Centers and Maternal and Child Welfare Centers. They will do group-teaching of domestic arts, reading and writing, recreation, and health education, encouraging village women to better their social conditions and general health.

Adult/Vocational Education

234. NIGER Under the Ministry of Education, Volunteers will travel between villages to teach adults basic literacy in native languages, French and arithmetic. An artist will help develop audio-visual aids. Those under Ministry of Health will work in social centers and rural dispensaries, teaching hygiene, sanitation, infant are, sewing, cooking and literacy. Nurses will teach theoretical and practical work to students at the nursing school in Niamey.

235. IVORY COAST Volunteers will teach practical vocational skills at three technical centers in rural areas. These centers develop basic skills in carpentry, masonry, mechanics and metal work so that young men with little or no formal education can meet local requirements for skilled laborers.

NORTH AFRICA, NEAR EAST, SOUTH ASIA

Education

301. TUNISIA Volunteers will teach English as a foreign language in Ministry of Education secondary schools and adult education schools (Bourguibs Institutes) throughout the country.

302. TURKEY Volunteers will be assigned to junior high, high schools and university prep schools throughout the country under the Ministry of Educations. They will also start English clubs, conduct adult educations courses and generally be involved in extracurricular activities.

303. MOROCCO Volunteers will teach English in Ministry of Education junior high and high schools throughout the country.

304. NEPAL Volunteers will teach English, math and science, home arts in middle and high schools under the Ministry of Economic Planning. Several will teach at colleges and teacher training schools.

305. AFGHANISTAN Volunteers will teach English, math and science courses, carrying full teaching loads, and will have all the normal responsibilities given to Afghan teachers. English is a required subject in all Afghan secondary schools.

306. IRAN Volunteers in secondary schools will work with Iranian counterparts to raise the level of English language instructions. Those with MA's in English will work in colleges and universities training English teachers.

307. TURKEY Volunteers will teach English (Turkey's second language) in junior and senior high schools in eastern Turkey. They will teach between 20-30 hours during the 5 1/2 day school week.

308. TURKEY Volunteers will work in orphanages operated by the Ministries of Health and Education to introduce modern child care and increase community interest in the institutions. Nursery school teachers will be assigned to the Girls' Technical Institutes to introduces new concepts and methods of child care and instruction.

Community Development

309. NEPAL Volunteers will be assigned to Development Districts which include several communities in a wide geographic area. They will assist development officers in training of village leaders, as demonstrations and improved communications between villages and district officials.

310. INDIA Volunteers will work with individual private producers, state poultry farms and cooperative markets to improve feed and poultry production and distribution. They will also work in teaching nutrition and food preservation.

311. TURKEY Volunteers will be members of village mobile teams, operated by the Turkish Ministry of Education, through the Technical Education Directorate. These teams move from village to village on a regular basis, offering courses aimed at uplifting the standard of living by imparting technical skills and inducing self-help programs.

Rural Literacy and Community Development

312. IRAN Male Volunteers will work with Iran's Literacy Corps, which is the country's most effective instrument in rural community development. Females will serve as teachers in provincial schools for rural and tribal girls. Specialists will train Literacy Corps guides or supervisors in Karaj.

Food Production/Agriculture

313. NEPAL Working under the Ministry of Economic Planning and with district Agricultural Development Officers, Volunteers will help develop agricultural cooperatives at village and district levels, aiming to provide credit facilities and improve agricultural techniques and distribution.

314. INDIA Volunteers will work with Block Development Officers, the Ag Extension Officer, village level workers and village council chairmen in the newly established "composite strategy programme" designed to alle the food crisis through technical assistance.

315. AFGHANISTAN Under the Ministry of Agriculture, Volunteers will work in five experimental stations where they will demonstrate the proper use of fertilizers, seeding, irrigation, cultivation and harvesting. Each will work with a counterpart and train boys from surrounding farms and through them engage in extension work.

Health

316. AFGHANISTAN Volunteers will work in pairs along with an Afghan counterpart, under the Ministry of Health. They will trains counterparts to give smallpox inoculations and will implement vaccination campaigns in rural villages where they will also give women basic instruction in sanitation and health.

317. TUNISIA Health worker teams and their Tunisian counterparts will carry out health educations and health action programs in rural areas. Lab technicians will be assigned to rural hospitals.

318. MOROCCO Medical technologists will work in hospital and public health labs, performing tests and supervising students in their lab work. Generalists will work in labs or TB sanatoriums, doing lab examinations, supervising Moroccan assistants, screening for tuberculosis, and performing routines surveillance of food, water and milk products or will work at the animal hospital. Veterinarians will work with the Moroccan and international staff of the Fes animal hospital. MD's will head a Rabat-based mobils lab unit doing mass screening and health studies and will assist the Director of the Institute of Hygiene.

319. INDIA Volunteers will travel within the state of Mysore, training primary teachers in basic training schools about simple health practices and nutrition.

Education

Health

Agriculture

Land Settlement

Domestic Arts/Home Improvement

Community Development

Highways

Construction

Fisheries

Social Welfare

Adult/Vocational Education

NORTH AFRICA, NEAR EAST, SOUTH ASIA

Education

Community Development

Food Production/Agriculture

Health

Education

Health

Agriculture

Land Settlement

Domestic Arts/Home Improvement

Community Development

Highways

Construction

Fisheries

Social Welfare

Adult/Vocational Education

NORTH AFRICA, NEAR EAST, SOUTH ASIA

Education

Community Development

Food Production/Agriculture

Health

Agriculture

Land Settlement

Domestic Arts/Home Improvement

Community Development

Highways

Construction

Fisheries

Social Welfare

Adult/Vocational Education

NORTH AFRICA, NEAR EAST, SOUTH ASIA

Education

Community Development

Food Production/Agriculture

Health