TRADITION: 'They Laughed When We Sat Down at the World

At 2 a.m. on October 14, 1960, on the steps of the University of Michigan's Student Union Building in Ann Arbor, history's lightning struck sparks that were to become visible around the world.

Today an engraved plaque on a front wall of the building calls attention to the fact that at that time and place John F. Kennedy first publicly mentioned the idea of a Peace Corps and defined its aims.

Kennedy, then nearing the end of his successful candidacy for President, had just flown into Michigan from New York. As his motorcade made its way from the airport to Ann Arbor, it became evident that a large crowd of students had waited up to see and hear him. The caravan was greeted at the university by an audience estimated at 10,000.

Speaking extemporaneously from the steps of the Student Union, Kennedy asked:

"How many of you are willing to spend 10 years in Africa or Latin America or Asia working for the U.S. and working for freedom? How many of you (who) are going to be doctors are willing to spend your days in Ghana?. . . On your willingness to do that, not merely to serve one or two years in the service, but on your willingness to contribute part of your life to this country, I think, will depend the answer whether we as a free society can compete."

Impetus for the formation of a national, secular organization of volunteers devoted to overseas service came from several quarters.

Vice President Hubert H. Humphrey, then a senator from Minnesota, had given the idea an early boost by submitting a Peace Corps bill in the summer of 1960. But it was not until a speech in San Francisco during the waning days of the presidential campaign -- November 2, 1960 -- that John F. Kennedy sounded the note that reverberated through the American mind.

Kennedy's campaign pledge to send "the best Americans we can get to speak for our country abroad" caused an instantaneous stir across the nation. Mail cascaded into Washington. One of the first things the new President Kennedy did after taking office was to direct his brother-in-law Sargent Shriver to determine whether foreign governments were interested in receiving Volunteers.

Organizational work went ahead quickly after reports came back from Asia and Africa that Volunteers, in surprisingly large numbers, would be welcome. The Peace Corps was established by Executive Order on March 1, 1961.

The idea was not without its critics. As one agency executive puts it. "They laughed when we sat down at the world to play . . ." And like the famed advertising slogan about the man who surprised one and all with his new-found talent at the piano, some of the Peace Corps' most vocal critics became avid boosters.

Final legislation providing for a permanent organization was signed by President Kennedy on September 22, 1961.

The legislation appropriated $32 million to run the agency in its first full fiscal year--July 1, 1961, through June 30, 1962 (the budget is now $115 million). At the same time Congress added to the basic Peace Corps Act these three goals:

1. To help the people of developing nations meet their needs for trained manpower.

2. To help promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of the American people.

3. To help promote a better understanding of the American people on the part of the peoples served.

In mid-1961 Lyndon B. Johnson, then Vice President, was named the first chairman of the Peace Corps National Advisory Council, which is made up of outstanding Americans who meet twice a year to review Peace Corps programs and policies. He held the post until January 26, 1965, when he named Vice President Humphrey as his successor on the council, assuring continued Administration support of the Peace Corps.

On August 30, 1961, the first group of Volunteers to go abroad arrived in Ghana. At the end of 1961 there were 614 Volunteers in 13 countries.

In some nations, the volunteers were greeted with "Go home, Yankees." Such taunts usually have been replaced by request, "Send us some more Peace Corps Volunteers."

In nations long cynical about motives of the great power, the Peace Corps approach is refreshing.

By June 1962, more 1,000 Volunteers were at work in 15 countries, and nearly 3,000 were in training. Agreements for volunteers have been reached with 37 countries.

By June 30, 1963, there were about 4,000 Volunteers in more than 40 countries, with another 2,000 in training. A year later more than 6,000 were at work over seas and another 4,000 in training. In three years the Peace Corps had evolved from a promising idea to a considerable force for assistance and incentive in developing countries.

In some nations the Peace Corps has been responsible for the very changes that now require it to expand even further. In others, natural evolution has enlarged Peace Corps responsibilities. The Peace Corps now has more than 12,000 volunteers and will meet its growing responsibilities and hopes to have about 15,000 by the end of the year.

The waiting list of nations requesting Volunteers now exceeds 20.