Hilles Library Will urn Midnight Oil

By Marcia B. Kline

The Radcliffe Library will adopt an open reserve system, checkers at the doors, and longer hours next Fall, when construction of the Hilles library is completed, Ruth K. Porritt, librarian, announced yesterday. The library is scheduled to move to the new building on Garden St. this August.

The policy changes were proposed by the Radcliffe administration and the library staff. A student poll, which was conducted earlier this year by the Radcliffe Government Association, was a factor in the decisions, Miss Porritt said.

The library will also have a coffee shop on the fourth floor which will be run as a part of the present Radcliffe dining facilities. It will not serve the "machine food" that Agassiz now offers for study breaks, Miss Porritt noted.

Witching Hour

Hilles Library will be open until midnight every night except Saturday, when it will probably close at either 4:30 or 5 p.m. Miss Porritt explained that there had been considerable student pressure to keep the library open past the present closing time of 11 p.m. Some students had asked that a portion of the Library remain open all night.

Miss Porritt said, however, the budget limitations force the library to close by midnight. She added that a plan is being considered to provide all-night study facilities in the dorms.

Because Radcliffe freshman have a limited number of sign-outs after 11:15 pm., the new closing time will require some change in sign-out procedure.

The open reserve system will remove the two-hour time limit on reserve books used in the building. This will probably mean that reserve books may not be checked out overnight until 9 p.m., instead of 7:30 p.m., Miss Portitt said, and that checkers will be placed at the doors. Because of the demand for books for large enrollment courses, they will be kept on closed reserve.

Man on Floor

The hours during which men may be in the building and the floors they may use have not yet been decided. The administration hopes that they will be permitted on all floors at all times, Miss Porritt said. But it is waiting for student discussion. After 6 p.m. men may study only on first floor under the president rules.