Crimson Swimmers Fall To Weakened Elis, 66-29

By John A. Herfort

Yale is probably the only team in East that could lose the services of Olympic champ Don Schollander, top Ivy breaststroker Mike Buckley, and captain and star distance man Joe Hill, and still beat Harvard 66-29.

That's exactly what the Elis did on Saturday in New Haven. Their coach, Phil Moriarty, merely dipped into his homless supply of talented reserves, shuffled his lineup, and presto--the Elis took 9 of 11 events.

Neville Hayes and Bob Corris predictabl furnished the only real bright spot of the afternoon for Crimson coach Bill Brooks. Hayes eked out one the most satisfying victories of his Harvard career over Yale's healthy Olympian Bill Mettler in the 200-yard butterfly. Hayes set the pace for the first 50 yards relinquished the lead to Mettler for the next 100 and flailed his way back into the lead over the last 50, winning in his fastest time of the season 1:53.5 a half second ahead of Mettler.

Corris' showdown with Buckley was postponed because of the Yalie's illness, but that didn't deter the Crimson record holder from lowering his Harvard record in the 200-yard breaststroke to 1:15.2. Corris followed the Blue's Dick Traver's torrid 1:02.8 pace for the first 100 and glided into the lead and won easily, relaxing over the last 50. If Buckley swims in the Easterns next weekend, he could well receive the surprise Corris was planning to spring on him Saturday.

Yale opened the meet with a five-yard victory in the 400-yard medley relay. However, Crimson captain Bruce Fowler established himself as one of the favorites in the Eastern 100-yard breaststroke championship, by churning through his leg in a fast 60.8 seconds. The Elis' sophomore butterfly ace Rick Schneider transferred his talents the 200-yard freestyle which Schollander had been slated to win. He won in 1:46.9, and came back in the 500-yard freestyle to edge Harvard's constantly improving sophomore Pete Adams, who also grabbed a second in the 200.

Adams took the lead in the 500, and whpiped through his first 200 in an incredible 1:53, but faded to second. His time, 5:05.9, was 3.7 seconds behind Schneider's, and only .7 seconds off the Harvard record. Watch out.

Yale's Mike Ahern took the 50-yard sprint in 22.2 seconds just touching out Bill Shrout, who was credited with the same time. Barry Wemple won the Corris-less individual medley in 2:04.6, leading Harvard's Henry Frey all the way. Yale's erratic divers had a good day and swept the dive.

The freshman meet, which the Bullpups won 57-37, produced a lot more excitement and two NCAA freshman records.