Navy Bombs Golfers, 6-1; Harvard Missing One Man

The golf team, playing without three of its first six men, was swamped by mighty Navy, six to one, at Annapolis Saturday.

With only six men left to play seven matches, Harvard had to forfelt one point at the outset.

The only bright spot on a chilly, wet day was Ways. Thornborough's four and three victory. Playing number four, Thornborough chalked up the team's only point against Navy in two years.

The Middies had little trouble knocking off Harvard's first three men. Brian McGuinn, Captain Mike Millis, and Bob kidder were each dumped four and three. McGuinn, at number one, was two up after eight holes, but he began to spray his tee shots on the back nine and couldn't recover.

Bob Schnitz, playing number five, was also beaten four and three. Number six man Bob Sinclair was even with only four holes to play in his match. But he dropped three in a row and lost three and one.

Harvard golfers misclubbed themselves frequently on the unfamiliar Navy course, which boasts such obstacles as radar screens and radio antennae. The team members had other problems too. They were tired from playing 36 holes a day on the spring trip and most of them hadn't had time to get their games in shape during the New England winter.

To open a season against Navy can be a disheartening experience. As usual, the Middies, considered by many the best in the East, displayed good strength throughout the lineup as well as real power in the top positions.

The match at Annapolis came on the heels of a week of practice and qualifying rounds in Charleston, S.C. Brian McGuinn, a junior, led the 72-hole trials as expected. The big surprise was Sophomore Bob Kidder's fourth-place finish. Kidder also fired the best 18 of the qualifying, a 75 on the tough, hard-baked course.

The top seven qualifiers at Charleston were assured of a place on the nine-man team. The last two, Schnits and Sinclair, will face all comers in the next two weeks in three more trial rounds.

"It's really too early to tell how the squad will come out this year," said Coach Cooney Wolland. "We still need more strength in the lower part of the lineup."