ENGINEERING AND APPLIED PHYSICS

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

In order to assist the CRIMSON in its laudable effort to help freshmen reach a decision about available fields of concentration from an informed standpoint, the follwing information about concentration in Engineering and Applied Physics should be made available.

The concentration is designed for those who wish to pursue a career in some branch of engineering applied physics, of applied mathematics with an emphasis upon the scientific disciplines upon which applications depend. However, many of its concentrators continue their education in graduate schools of business and law as well as in arts and sciences.

The courses offered by the Engineering and Applied Physics and associated faculty members require mathematics through Math 20 and physics through Physics 12 as prerequisites. The courses offered (under the label engineering science) include all the undergraduate courses in applied mathematics as well as those related more closely to the applications of physics, chemistry, and biology, included are a wide diversity of topics such as computer sciences, fluid and solid mechanics, electronics, information theory, automatic control, the physics of solids, atmospheres, and oceans, water chemistry and biology. F. Karl Willenbrock   Associate Dean