Bruin Nine Topples Harvard, 6-5; Crimson Attack Slowed To a Walk

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

own knocked off Harvard, 6-5, sore yesterday afternoon for its fourth straight Eastern Baseball League victory in a poorly played game that everyone would well to forget.

The Crimson's only consolation came in preventing Bruin starter Art Di-slar-from registering his fifth win of the as he was knocked from the box five-run sixth inning. That achievement wasn't much to brag about, however, as DiMartino did most of the damage himself, walking five of the seven batters he faced that inning.

Sophomore Bob Lincoln, the potential stopper of the still obscure Harvard pitching staff, started the game and pitched three creditable innings before Brown hitters and Harvard fielders combined for three runs in the fourth two more in the fifth.

Brown's Tom Niederer hit a triple and Skenderian knocked in two runs a single, but a bobbled grounder, a missed cutoff, slow jumps on fly balls, had throws to wrong bases tell better the story of those two innings.

After John Dockery's leadoff single, the Crimson hitters were unable to time the a lefty's curves, and it looked as if DiMartino would add the Crimson's scalp to a belt that already included Yale, Penn. Columbia.

But going into the sixth with five walks already to his credit, DiMartino's control completely dissipated, and he issued Annie Oakleys to Jeff Grate, Jim Tobin, and Weiz.

Neil Houston lined a double over third to drive in two runs, but then DIMartino returned to the wild ones, A sacrifice fly by Dockery and an infield hit by George Neville tied the game and simultaneously exhausted Harvard's three-hit offense.

Two singles and a sacrifice fly off reliever Jim Sersich produced Brown's winning run in the eighth. Harvard couldn't even mount a threat against Hefferon's low fastballs.

The freshman game with Brown had a familiar ring, as the Brownie hurier walked the winning run in the ninth inning to give the Yardlings a 7-6 triumph. Also yesterday afternoon, the Harvard J.V. handed the M.I.T. freshmen a 7-1 defeat. Pitching Summary   lp  r  er  h  bb  so Lincoln  5  5  2  5  0  3 Munzel  1  0  0  1  0  0 Sersich (L)  2  1  1  2  0  1 McCandlish  1  0  0  0  1  0