Council Denied More MBTA Police In Harvard, Central, Kendall Stops

By Glenn A. Padnick

City Manager Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '29 has turned down the Cambridge City Council's request for more security guards in the Harvard, Central, and Kendall Square MBTA stations.

"With the exception of a series of incidents of pickpocketing and handbag snatching created by two boys (since apprehended), there is no indication of any undue violations of law in the squares described," DeGuglielmo said in a letter sent to the Council yesterday.

DeGuglielmo said he had conferred with the head of the MBTA's Security Police, as well as Cambridge Chief of Police Daniel J. Brennan. They decided that the 14 men the MBTA currently has assigned to the three Cambridge stops were sufficient.

However, he added that conditions would be re-examined and future adjustments were possible in the police assignments.

The letter responded to a City Council order which Councillor Walter J. Sullivan had proposed March 21.

In other proceedings, the City Council finally got Russell L. Smith, executive secretary of the Citizens' Advisory Committee, before it but he did not bring the detailed listings of contributors to the Committee which the Council had requested.

Smith told the councillors that the Committee's lawyers had advised him not to reveal the names until they cleared the action.

Vellucci Demands

Several of the councillors, especially Alfred E. Vellucci, have demanded since the beginning of the year the list of contributors.

Vellucci has claimed repeatedly that the CAC receives its money from the large corporations and universities in the City and in return has acted on their behalf.

Commenting on the CAC's influence in many City matters, Councillor Edward A. Crane '35 stated that he noticed Smith at the court hearings last Thursday on the dismissal of the past City Manager, John J. Curry '19. Crane said he was willing to let Smith go at current meeting and have him before the Council again after the court's decision.

Smith said he would be happy to appear again but warned the councillors that he might not have the list of CAC contributors.