Girls' Education Called Inflexible By Mrs. Bunting

Mrs. Mary I. Bunting, President of Radcliffe, said this weekend that universities have done nothing to help the increasing number of college girls who want marriage as well as a career.

Professional and graduate schools have failed to recognize that young mothers cannot follow the same full-time professional training courses as men. Mrs. Bunting told the 10th annual meeting of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis in Atlantic City, N.J.

In the past five years, she said, more and more girls have decided to extend their professional education over as many as 20 years to prepare themselves for careers they will follow after their children are grown. "We need the kind of flexibility in scheduling, in evaluating, in financial support that the graduate schools are not ready for," she added.

Mrs. Bunting told the meeting that the Radcliffe Institute for Independent Study has helped many women to complete educations that were "discarded half-way done." The Institute provides women with financial aid, Mrs. Bunting explained, and will even pay for babysitters.

Mrs. Bunting also pointed out that 31 of the 36 Radcliffe seniors who were married this year have already been accepted by graduate or professional schools.