Drama Experts Expound and Loeb Schedule Expands

HDC to Do 10 Plays At Loeb Next Season

Ten shows will be produced on the Loeb mainstage next year, the Harvard Dramatic Club announced yesterday. It also released the names of plays and directors for the Fall.

The executive committee of the HDC, which decides what will appear on the mainstage, asked several weeks ago to expand the current eight-show season by two, a member said last night.

The Faculty directors of the Loeb then agreed that an expansion by four shows, as the directors had originally proposed, would put Harvard's limited number of experienced technical personnel under the great a strain.

The Faculty directors and the HDC also agreed that a ten-show season would allow a more efficient use of the Loeb's facilities. Ten shows will have both longer runs and more time to build sets and rehearse than 12 would.

The decision to schedule ten shows was made while applications for next year were being considered. "The response was not as large as expected and we found that ten slots would accommodate those we had very well," the HDC Spoken man observed.

The first of the Fall plays will be Gammer Gurton's Needle, a farcical Tudor comedy by the anonymous Mr. S. Master of Arts. Steven H. Kaplan '68 will direct this--and possibly The Friar and the Pardoner, a short interlude by Thomas Heywood--in mid-October.

George Buechner's Wozzeck, directed by John A. Lithgow '67, is the expressionistic treatment of the private life of a soldier. The 19th-century work will be produced in early November.

The Victors, Jean-Paul Sartre's drama of young French resistence workers interrogated by the Nazis, will be directed by Thomas J. Babe Jr. '63 for late November.

The last play of the season, George Etheridge's The Man of Mode, or Sir Fopling Flutter, will be directed by Robert II. Chapman, director of the Loeb. It is an early example of the comic form later developed by Wycherly and Congreve, and will be produced in mid-December