Twenty Students Apply for RGA's Service Project

The large-scale domestic-foreign service program announced three weeks ago at a Radcliffe Government Association meeting now has 20 applicants, a $25,000 grant, five new board members, and a name.

The program, proposed by Mrs. Bunting and sponsored by RGA and Phillips Brooks House, includes a summer of service work on individual projects in the United States, seminars at Harvard, and a second summer as an apprentice to a Peace Corps volunteer abroad.

Twenty Harvard and Radcliffe students, who already have experience comparable to the first two parts of the program, have applied directly for the final stage, Mrs. Bunting reported yesterday. On May 14 the program's governing board will choose ten to work as Peace Corps apprentices this summer. They will be selected on the basis of service experience, language ability, and the appropriateness of their academic preparation.

Ford Grant

The program has also received a $25,000 Ford Foundation grant which will provide financial assistance for the student apprentices this summer. Each will receive $50 a month plus expenses while abroad.

The original members of the nine-man governing board and Miss Susan Bartho-lomew, RGA secretary and executive secretary of the program, have selected five new board members. Samuel S. Bowles, instructor in Economics, who recently refused to sign the Massachusetts Teachers Loyalty Oath, was selected to represent the faculty.

Anastasia Kucharski '68 and Eleanor B. Swift '67 will be RGA representatives. And Gary D. Bergthold, a student in the Graduate School of Education, and Peter Geselle will be Peace Corps delegates. Bergthold and Geselle have already served in the Peace Corps. The board will soon choose its final member--another faculty representative, Mrs. Bunting reported. The program will be called "Education for Action.