Yardling Tennis Team Boasts 5-0 Mark This Year

Sports '69

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

Varsity tennis coach Jack Barnaby's traditionally fertile farm system is producing another good harvest this season. Freshman racketmen are going into their final match against Yale today undefeated and almost unscathed in intercollegiate competition.

The Yardlings' 5-0 record against opposing freshman teams includes 9-0 shut-outs of Dartmouth, Brown, and M.I.T. Amherst salvaged a single win, and Princeton, whose freshmen beat Harvard last year, fell with a convincing 7-2 thud.

The lone blot on the Crimson freshmen's ledger is a 5-4 defeat at Andover in rain and hall.

Big Californians

Number one for the strong and deep freshman squad is John Levin, a tall Californians with a big game reminiscent of the varsity's Bernie Adelsberg. Captain of the Yardlings, Levin has helped Barnaby run the team since freshman coach Prey Wynn was disabled April 23.

Rocky Jarvis, who will play number two against the Bullpups, has shown a killer instinct that fortifies his hard hitting. A 6-1, 6-2, win against Princeton is the closest any opposing freshman has come to him.

Jarvis, also from California, teamed with Levin in doubles before they arrived at Harvard. This duo has been untouchable so far this year and should move up to the third doubles slot for Barnaby's varsity next year.

Steve Devereux, a Floridian who captured the Andover team that was one two conquerors of the '65 freshmen, is number three.

Marty Flusser, Bruce Weigand, and Terry Oxford have provided strength at the bottom three positions that no other college has come close to matching.

Backing up the top six are Michael Scheinman, who led the freshman squash team, and John Appleby, brother of the varsity's number six man.