Adelsberg Wins New England Title; Yale Captures Team Tennis Honors

Bad draws, bad cramps, and bad tennis cost Harvard the New England intercollegiate team tennis title, but Crimson sophomore Bernie Adelsberg stole the show by upsetting the first and second seeded players to win the singles championship.

In the semifinals Adelsberg eliminated defending champ Jack Waltz of Yale, 2-6, 7-5, 6-3, and in the finals he dumped Dartmouth's Charlie Hoevler, 3-6, 6-4, 6-1.

Both matches followed the same pattern. After quickly succumbing to the ferocious serve and-rush tactics in the first set, Adelsberg gradually slowed down the swarming games of his opponents in the second set and then spiked them with his sounder game in the third set.

In the finals Adelsberg broke down the big game of Hoevler and left him with few other resources as he romped to a 5-0, 40-love lead before Hoevler could muster a games.

All matches were switched from Amherst to the hard courts at Wesleyan because of rain.

In the other singles Harvard met with various misfortunes. Clive Klleff, undefeated at number three for Harvard this year, played his first erratic match of the season and bowed to Yale's Bob McCallum, 6-4, 5-7, 9-7, in the third round.

Richie Friedman had the bad luck of drawing Hoevler in the second round and succumbed to his power, 6-2, 6-4. Jose Gonzalez, after several impressive wins, developed hand cramps at 5-5 in the first set of the quarterfinals. He continued the match despite his feeble service ability, but lost, 11-9, 6-1, to Williams' Peter Grossman.

Gonzalas, still with hand cramps later in the afternoon, managed to team with Brian Davis for a victory over Yale's second doubles team of McCallum and Jay Westcott. Harvard's other doubles combo of Kileff and Adelsberg, however, was eliminated in the first round by Yale's strong team of Waltz and Mike Brooks.

Gonzalez and Davis played badly in the semifinals, dropping a 6-3, 6-2 match to Hoevler and Kurt Anderson. Williams' Peter Allen and William Ewen, winners of the tournament two years ago an sophomores, defeated the Dartmouth pair in the finals, 6-3, 6-1.

Yale won the team title with 30 points, followed by Williams at 29, Harvard at 28, and Dartmouth at 26.