Trackmen Favored to Win Boston Area College Meet

By Roberta C. Yafie

About the only fate the Boston collegiate track teams won't suffer at Harvards hands today and Wednesday is a Lynching.

The Crimson thinclads are heavily favored to win the Greater Boston College Meet, held at the Boston College field, despite the absence of Crimson Captain Tony Lynch.

Lynch suffered a pulled hamstring muscle in the Penn Relays Saturday, and was unable to finish better than third in his hurdle events.

The Crimson won't be having as easy a time of it as last year, when they romped over Boston College, 125-63 1/2. B.C. appears as the top challenger this year, with added depth and scoring potential making the Eagles a match for Harvard in first-line quality.

Crimson strength lies in the mile, two-mile, 88O and 440. Miler Jim Baker was clocked at 4:09.5 in the Penn Relays Friday Against Princeton, he registered a time of 4:14.9.

Boston University's George Starkus is favored in the event, with Bill Norris the Eagles another strong entry.

Walt Hewlett registered the best time of his career at the Penn Relays with a 9:02.1 clocking in the two-mile. He faces strong competition from Norris and Northeastern's Dave Dunsky.

Norris, the event winner last year, track (9:20.5) and meet (9:12.8) records in '65.

B.U's Dave Hemery is favored to win the hurdle events, although his clockings this season are less impressive than his freshman efforts. Hemery was second the National Collegiate 60's indoors, and was clocked at: 14.1 for the 120-yard hurdles and: 52.3 for the 440 intermediates.

Huvelle and Robinson are top contenders in the 440-yard dash. Robinson is the defending champ with a time of :48.3. Huvelle is rated the best Harvard prospect, having turned in a time of :48.6 against Dartmouth Saturday. B.C.'s Larry Jeffers is also highly-rated.

Burns gets the nod in the half-mile. He ran the 880 at Penn in 1:54.1.

Bobby Leo, Joe Smith, Randy Thompson and Wayne Anderson combined for a 42.8 440 relay mark against Dartmouth knocking one-tenth from the Harvard record.

The dash and 220--both won by Andersen last year--are up for grabs. Andersen was clocked at :21.6 at Dartmouth for the 220. In the dash he brought in a time of 9.9.

Chris Pardee, Harvard's seven-footer, is the odds-on favorite in the high jump. He'll be entered in three events, adding the long and triple jumps. In the triple his top competition should come from B.C.'s Joe Kopka.

Ron Wilson is the Crimson's leader in the weight events. He'll be meeting stiff competition in defending NCAA champ John Flore of Boston College. Top contender in the discus is Eagle sophomore Jim Cavanaugh.