Harvard Leads GBI Meet; Pardee Captures 3 Events

Chris Pardee jumped to firsts in three events as Harvard lept into a commanding first day lead in the Greater Boston Collegiate meet.

Only a complete collapse in the running events today could prevent the Crimson thinclads, from winning the meet. After yesterday's field events Harvard leads Boston College and Northeastern 56-25 1/2.25.

Pardee tied a meet record by high jumping 6' 10 1/2" and added wins in the broad jump, and triple jump.

Weightman Ron Wilson added 11 points Harvard's total by placing in three events. He captured a first in the discus with a throw of 159'5", took second in shot put and fourth in the hammer. The Crimson swept the pole vault, taking first, second, and third, as Dave Bell was a surprise winner over his teammate Steve Schoonover. Bell vaulted 13' 6" for a new meet record.

A solid showing in the javelin added 7 more points to Harvard's lead. Tony Kilkuskie, Walt Campbell, and Bob Welch finished second, third, and fourth after Post of Northeastern had shattered the meet record with a throw of 210' 2".

Harvard qualified runners for each of today's races and looked particularly strong in the 440 where Jeff Huvelle, Sandy Robinson, and Dave McKelvey all won their heats.

Huvelle should be a winner in the quarter-mile today and Jim Baker looks strong in the mile. B.C. runners, who turned in the best time in the qualifying heats, will be favorites in the dashes.

Freshmen Pete Lazarus and Henry Bernson turned in outstanding performances yesterday doing better in their events than anyone on the varsity. Lazarus vaulted 13' 8" for new Freshman and B.C. field records. Bernson threw the javelin 199' 2 1/2", 8 feet farther than Kilkuskie.