Tory Leader Will Give Godkin Lectures in 1967

By John A. Herfort

Edward Heath, Tory leader of Great Britain's House of Commons, will deliver next year's Godkin Lectures. He has tennely accepted an invitation from the Graduate School of Public Administration to come to Harvard for the three-lectures series sometime next winter.

The Corporation is expected to vote its approval of Heath's appointment before Commencement.

Fifty-year Award

Established in 1903 in'honor of Edwin Godkin, editor of the Nation, the lectures bring either a scholar or public leader to award each year to discuss the "essential of free government and the duties of the citizens." Lecturers in recent years included Nelson Rockefeller, West Berlin's Mayor Willy Brandt, and Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Robert Weaver '29.

Heath, the first Conservative leader to come from a middle-class background, succeeded former Prime Minister Sir Alec Douglas-Home in July, 1965, after a bitter intra-party struggle for the top

Look some time for Heath to warm to his new role as the major proponent of Tory policies on the floor of Commons, and he was frequently bested in debate by Prime Minister Harold Wilson.

The months preceding the March 1966, election Heath became more effective and the Tories were given a slim chance to topple the Labour government. But the election demonstrated that Heath's leadership was of little help at the polls. The Wilson government was returned with a majority of over 100 members in the House of Commons.

Prior to his accession to party leadership, Heath was President of the Board of Trade. He also was Britain's top negotiator when the MacMillan government attempted to gain entrance into the Common Market. Britain's application was vetoed in January, 1963, by French President Charles De Gaulle in what was described as the "humiliation of Brussels."

Heath will succeed Walter W. Heller, former chairman of the President's Council of Economic Advisers, as Godkin Lecturer. At Harvard last March, Heller call- ed on President Johnson to raise taxes to stave off inflation. In his last lecture, the University of Minnesota professor outlined for the first time his much-discussed plan to disburse a small percentage of federal income tax revenues to the states