Overseer Anachronism

The state legislature should find no objection to a bill recently endorsed by the University aimed at eliminating an old anachronism in the voting procedure for overseers. The bill, field in December by two legislators, would make it possible for alumni to vote in overseer elections immediately after graduation; they are now required to wait for five years under a restriction passed by the General Court in 1865. The five year rule discourages participation by alumni, hurts fund raising attempts, and prevents those who know most about the college problems from electing the men who eventually rule on appointments and other important matters.

Under the bill, the University would also gain the power to enfranchise Radcliffe students who hold Harvard A.B.'s. The governing board should use that power to give Cliffies the vote.

There are persuasive and honorable arguments, of course, against extending the privileges of graduation from this male preserve to women. But Cliffies are affected just as heavily by decisions of the overseers as students at the college. And since Cliffies know as much (if not more) about the affairs of the University, there can be really no valid argument against giving them the vote, unless it be determined that they are inherently inferior.