Swimmers Host Indians In Big Meet Tomorrow

Meet Time: 4 p.m.

If the victory warhoop of the Dartmouth Indians rings out over the IAB swimming pool Saturday, it will be the first time in history.

Harvard has never lost a dual meet to Dartmouth, but the Crimson is in for a rough time against the undefeated Green. In their first two meets, the Indians downed Penn, 72-23, and Williams 63-32.

What has accounted for this amazing reversal by the team which used to function as the bath mat of the League? Money. Or to be more explicit a spanking new pool which lures top-notch high school stars to Hanover.

Last year's freshmen, the first to be so enticed, churned to a 10-0 record. And this year, as sophomores, they have propelled the Green into Eastern prominence.

Sophomores Plus Depth

Among the more spectacular Indian Sophs are freestyler Carl Robinson, who barely missed snapping the Williams pool record at 100 yards, backstroker Al Petersen and diver Marc Labovitz

Dartmouth has so much depth that even though Petersen swam only in the individual medley against Williams, it swept the backstroke.

The Indians not only have good sophomores but a moderately solid nucleus of experienced varsity men. Captain Tony Dalrymple and fellow-senior Pete Hayes are the mainstays of a freestyle crew that will certainly push Harvard's Bill Shrout and Pete Adams.

Harvard hasn't given up, despite the Green's awesome power. "We'll have to fight," breaststroker Bob Corris says, "but we're going to swim to win."

Harvard's Weapons

The Crimson is not lacking in weaponry. Corris, an All-America selection last year, has never lost the breaststroke in dual competition while at Harvard.

Olympic medalist Neville Hayes, who was married over the vacation, forms a strong breaststroking unit with rapidly developing Martie Chalfie, but they'll face a tough challenge from Indian sophomore Chuck Hodgson.

In the dive, Bill Murphy and Pete Alter showed great potential against Navy, and this event could be a doozy.

Don't be late. This could be the meet that determines Harvard's future in Eastern rankings this year. A big win could spark the swimmers to superhuman efforts against the toughies still left on the schedule: Cornell, Princeton and Yale.