Indians and Tigers Score Impressive Wins Saturday

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

The strong look stronger after a surpriseless second football weekend among the Ivies. Dartmouth and Princeton joined co-defending champion Harvard in scoring impressive victories, and Cornell, the other member of last year's first division, served notice that it will be a contender once again.

The Big Green firmly established themselves in their familiar role of team-to-beat with an awesome 24-8 win over Holy Cross. The game was billed as a toss-up, but the Indians left nothing to chance, building a 24-0 lead before letting the Crusaders onto the scoreboard in the final quarter.

Dartmouth's defense limited the Cross to 75 yards in the first half; weak-passing quarterback Gene Ryzewicz completed 9 of 13 throws in the same span; and sophomore Bob Mlakar emerged as more than just a name with a 50-yard scoring scamper. The only Green weakness was punting: five kicks averaged a feeble 17 yards.

Princeton registered its 17th straight victory over Columbia, 28-14. The Tigers came from behind for the second week in a row, after Lion quarterback Marty Domres hit sophomore end Bill Wazevich with a 76-yard paydirt pitch in the first quarter. Wazevich set league records with 12 catches (the Harvard season record is 20) for 214 yards, as Domres justified his passing reputation, but Tiger tailback Bob Weber was the star of the day.

Cornell rode the passing of new-found star Bill Robertson to a 23-7 triumph over Colgate. The Big Red displayed a strong defense and a balanced attack in dealing the Red Raiders their third consecutive defeat. Boston University and Columbia previously scored narrow victories over Colgate.

Slumping Yale trailed Connecticut 6-0 going into the final period at Yale Bowl, but an option pass and a run, both by halfback Cal Hill, pulled out a 14-6 win. The Elis had a surprisingly tough time putting down an intrastate rival over which it holds as 18-1 edge. Quarterback Greg Lawler had trouble moving his team, but injured signalcaller Brian Dowling. Yale's only apparent hope for this season, appeared on the sidelines in uniform, sans cast. When he will be able to play is an important mystery.

Penn scored what may be its only Ivy victory and Brown racked up the first of what will certainly be many Ivy defeats in another League contest at Philadelphia. Bill Creeden and Cabot Knowlton led a sporadic Quaker offense and the defense looked good against the League's weakest attack. The score was 28-7.