Linkletter Wows B-School Crowd

Business School students proved once again yesterday that people are funny as over 400 of them crowded into Banker Library to hear Art Linkletter describe his rise to fame.

Linkletter attributed his success to his ability to "impress somebody--stun them." "All the things you are doing in class on paper," he added, "I did with money."

While acknowledging that "the so-called glamour of a Hollywood personality enhances my ability to sell," the sometime kiddie interviewer said fame did not always spell success. He noted that a fruit jelly business which used his name had been a failure.

Linkletter, who described himself as the "adopted son of an itinerant shoe salesman and evangelist," told of set-backs as well as triumphs in illuminating his career.

"I spread hula-hoops across the country," he declared "and now they're dumping them on little children in Nepal. Getting out of the hula-hoop business," he added, "was where I made money."

Linkletter, who is touring the country as part of the Royal Crown Cola University Series, was the guest of the Marketing Club.