House Grid Race Tightens As Eliot Tips Quincy 13-0

Eliot House knocked the Quincy House gridders from the ranks of the unbeaten yesterday with a 13-0 upset victory in House football. At the same time Leverett backed into first place as it scored a victory by forfeit over Adams.

In the battle of cellar dwellers, Kirkland House recorded a 22-6 victory over Lowell.

Eliot wasted no time in posting its first score. The team shocked the Quincy defense on the first play from scrimmage when Tom Mechem swept around left end and outran the Orange defense for a 70-yard touchdown.

Little Success

Following the Eliot kickoff, the Quincy offense had little success. For three plays the gridders were pushed backward toward their own goal, and on the fourth down they were forced to punt ou of their own end zone. The Elephants put on a heavy rush, blocked the punt, and Bob Beaman fell on the ball for Eliot's second score.

The remainder of the game was a battle of two strong defensive teams. Quincy, who had scored 24 points in its first three games, couldn't muster any offense. The Eliot, defense held them without a pass completion, and gave up only two first downs in the entire contest.

Eliot Spoilers

For Eliot, the victory was the first in three games this season, with one loss and one tie. Playing the role of spoilers, Eliot broke a three-game Quincy winning streak and ruined the Orangemen's bid for undisputed possession of first place.

Kirkland, displaying a well-rounded offense and a strong defense, took the lead early over the Lowell crew. In a strong ground game Kirkland posted two quick first half touchdowns, taking a 14-0 lead at halftime.

The second half was evenly played, each team scoring once. Lowell shifted to a passing offense in an attempt to play catch-up football, but their aerial attack failed as the Kirkland line put on a consistent pass rush and held on for a 22-6 victory.