Eli, Crimson, Green Vie for Lead

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

Three teams are currently atop the Ivy football standings, but only one will be crowing tonight. Yale will fall before vengeful Cornell and the winner of the Harvard-Dartmouth game will sport the last undefeated record in the League.

The Yale-Cornell game at New Haven almost matches The Big Game here in unpredictability. There is nothing resembling a common opponent, and the season is still too young for any quantities to be adequately known.

Cornell was going great guns until it hit Harvard, and even then the Ithacans looked overpowering in defeat. Will last week's loss, or playing their first game outside New York, affect Cornell's momentum?

?

On the other side is question mark Yale, which started the season in a crawl and has slowly but surely come to life since then. Also resurrected is quarterback Brian Dowling, who returned to action last weekend in a complete surprise move and ranks presently as the League's mystery figure.

But Cornell's Bill Robertson at the moment ranks as the most dangerous passer in the circuit and should twirl a 21-7 Big Red victory.

Princeton moves onto the second leg of its rehabilitation program this afternoon when it plays host to defenseless Penn. The Quakers blew my perfect prediction slate when they allowed Bucknell two touchdowns and a 28-27 win in the game's final four minutes last Saturday. The Tigers, in retaliation, should drub Penn, 35-14.

Nix on Brown, Columbia

Neither Brown nor Columbia, who share last place in the League standings, will come up with its first Ivy triumph today, and not just because they play non-League opponents. Brown, toward whom not enough sympathy can be extended, faces another winless team today, Colgate, and still should be soundly beaten. The Red Raiders will have no mercy after being shut out by Princeton last week and should win, 25-10.

Columbia takes on Rutgers, which hasn't been heard of in Ivy circles since it lost to Princeton in the final seconds of opening day. But the Lions have been ground down by the Big Three in succession and aren't up to upsetting the Scarlet Knights at this point. Rutgers 24, Columbia 3.

That leaves the big one. Dartmouth has won all its games impressively, but the opposition was not strong. Harvard has won all its games, and except for last week, by bigger scores than expected.

The Crimson has been installed as the betting favorite, but there are many doubting Thomases around who say Harvard's ground attack is feeble (and totally dependent on Vic Gatto's health), its air game erratic, and its big scores the results of opponents' mistakes. But Harvard plays for those mistakes. The question is whether Dartmouth, the best coached team in the East, will make any.

Last year everything clicked and Harvard pulled a stunning upset. This year the Crimson has a much better chance to win, and unless the weather