RGA Will Debate Plan to Exclude Administration from Membership

By Diana L. Ordin

The Radcliffe Government Association is considering a plan to exclude members of the college administration from its membership.

Technically RGA -- which is empowered to change its own constitution--could do this by revising the membership clause in its constitution. The clause now states that both student and administration representatives are voting members of RGA.

But any constitutional amendment must be approved by the group of college trustees and members of the Administration that compose the Radcliffe College Council. And, as of yet, Mrs. Bunting has given RGA no reaction to the proposal.

The plan for the new all-student government was proposed at the formal opening of the College on September 23, by RGA president Anastasia Kucharski '68. If adopted, the body would be called the Radcliffe Undergraduate Association.

Community Forum

The old RGA was intended to be a "community forum," Miss Kucharski said, where students and administration could work together. But a month ago Mrs. Bunting announced the formation of a Radcliffe Policy Committee, made up of five members of the administration and five students, that now provides such a forum. So "the RGA and the new RPC are duplicating each other," Miss Kucharski said. The new RUA is an all-student voice to correspond to the all-administration College Council.

According to present plans, there would be contact between the groups. Mrs. Bunting would serve as a non-voting ex-officio member of the RUA and, hopefully, the College Council would invite the RUA president to its meetings. Various administrators would also be invited to serve as advisors to RUA committees.

RUA, the new organization, would retain the duties of RGA. But it is hoped that because it would be composed only of sthudents, it might be less apathetic than the present legislature.

The RUA, like the RGA, "would initiate and enforce social rules, handle intercollegiate student communication, and make proposals on topics of interest to the student community," Miss Kucharski explained.

Also like the RGA, the RUA would be subject to administrative veto, and any proposal by the administration would take precedence over RUA student-in-spired legislation.

Another major innovation included in the RUA plan would change the basis of student representation from the dormitory to the House.

RGA will begin discussion of the plan at its meeting next Thursday. It will probably consider separately the two major parts--the creation of a student-only organization and the switch from dormitory to House representation. Miss Kucharski could not say when the final referendum would be taken