University Fills 2 Vacant Chairs In English Dept.

Harvard announced yesterday that it has filled two previously vacant chairs in the English Department with men already on the Faculty.

Herchel C. Baker has become the new Francis Lee Higgenson Professor of English Literature succeeding Kenneth L. Murdock '16, who retired in 1964, and B. J. Whiting '25 is the new Gurney Professor of English Literature, succeeding J. D. Bush, who retired in 1966.

Baker is an authority on early 19th century writers and on the Renaissance in England. This year he is teaching both graduate and undergraduate courses on the Renaissance and on Milton. He joined the Harvard Faculty in 1946 after teaching seven years at the University of Texas. He became Professor of English in 1956 and was chairman of the Department from 1952 to 1957 and from 1965 to this year.

Whiting is currently teaching Harvard's graduate and undergraduate courses on Chauncer. He has taught here since 1926, was named Professor of English in 1947, and has also served as English Department chairman.