Conant Asks Stress On School Records

James B. Conant '13, former president of Harvard, called Sunday for "more emphasis on school records and less emphasis on examinations" in college admissions policy.

Conant suggested that a uniform standard of marking and grading at secondary schools could eliminate the need for College Entrance Board examinations. "There should be a sample testing of the schools to determine grading and standards," he said.

The current issue of Education News reports that Conant wants the abandonment of college admission and achievement tests. But Conant said Sunday that the journal has misrepresented him. His remarks, he explained, were made at a confidential meeting of the examination board's commission on testing and were "purposely provocative."

David K. Smith, director of Admissions, voiced support of Conant's position yesterday. "Tests are only useful in conjunction with other things--school reports, masters' reports, and interviews," he said. "At Harvard an applicant's school record is the most important thing in his folder."