Council Told Some One-Way Streets Will Return to Two-Way Patterns

By William R. Galeota

Traffic patterns around Harvard will soon be at least halfway back to normal.

Robert E. Rudolph, Cambridge Director of Traffic and Parking, told the City Council last night that he would end the rotary pattern around Cambridge Common as soon as the Massachusetts Bay Transit Authority completed some wiring changes in the area. He declined to predict how long that would take council then voted to invite an MBTA representative to next Monday's meeting to set the date.

Rudolph began the new pattern last summer, to facilitate construction of Harvard's Cambridge St. underpass. He said that work on the underpass is now far enough along to allow resumption of the old pattern. Waterhouse Street, Garden Street and Mass. Ave. north of the Square will once again be two-way streets.

'Harvard Square Mess'

However, Rudolph refused to commit himself on the resumption of the old traffic pattern in the immediate Harvard-Brattle Square area. He conceded that "from four o six, there's a mess in Harvard Square," but said, "the pattern will operate much better when the tunnel is is opened."

Councillor Thomas H. D. Mahoney criticized the Harvard Square pattern for its "cost in convenience and safety to pedestrians." The traffic director then promised the council that he would study the pattern and attempt to find a satisfactory solution.

In other action last night, the council took another slap at the hippies. Councillor Walter J. Sullivan introduced an order asking City Manager Joseph A. Deguglielmo '29 to confer with the Chief of Police, and attorneys for the City, County, and state "with a view to instituting proceedings for criminal prosecution of the owners, writers, and distributers of the so-called 'hippie' newspapers now being sold throughout the City."

'Avatar' Ruled Obscene

Last Wednesday, a Boston Municipal Court judge ruled a recent issue of the hippie newspaper Avatar obscene. He fined a bookstore clerk $200 for selling it.

The names of newspapers were not mentioned yesterday, but a copy of the Avatar was passed around the council chambers. Sullivan called it "The dirtiest stuff that was ever published."

Councillor Alfred E. Vellucci said Avatar was "so filthy" he wouldn't want anyone to read it.

He noted that Harvard Square newsstands no longer sold hippie papers, but said street vendors still peddled them.