Ex-Harvard Star May Go to Jets

Former Harvard ace halfback John Dockery may soon get his chance to be a pro according to a story in the Waterbury (Conn.) Republican. Dockery has been playing halfback for the semi-pro Waterbury Orbits for the last month.

According to the Republican, New York Jets' coach Weeb Ewbank is impressed with John's progress on the Orbits. He may bring Dockery up soon even if the Jet's defensive backfield remains sound.

So far Dockery's career in the pro's has been discouraging. He tried out for the Miami Dolphins this year but was cut. The Dolphins offered to put him on the taxi squad, but Dockery refused. "I was very aggravated to be let go. Like every one else, I thought I got the short end of the stick," he said.

Dockery then came north to study city planning at Columbia University. There he was contacted by the Jets who offered to let him play for the Waterbury Orbits for a few weeks. The Jets promised to consider signing him at the end of this trial period. Dockery took the offer and after four weeks with the Orbits, the Jets signed him for the taxi squad.

The Jet's coaching staff watches films of all the Orbits' games and according to the Republican "its members feel Dockery has learned to be a pro in a hurry."

Dockery himself is pleased with his progress and feels he has a better chance of making the Jets than he did of breaking in with the Dolphins. Miami's defensive backfield is one of the best in the league.