Applications Rise 13% at Harvard, 8% at Radcliffe; Records Predicted

Applications to Harvard Colleges are running 13 per cent ahead of last year's and Radcliffe's are eight per cent ahead.

Dr. Chase N. Peterson '52, dean of admissions and financial aid, expects that this increase will continue and eventually yield a record 7900 applications for the class of 1972.

Patricia O'Connor, acting dean of admissions at Radcliffe, predicts that the number of Radcliffe, applications will also increase but declined to project a total.

Harvard Numbers Stable

The numbers of Harvard applications have remained relatively stable for the past two years. After a jump of 1000, from 5600 to 6600, for the class of 1969, the baby boom leveled off. The number remained about the same for the class of 1970, and rose to 7100 for the present freshman class.

Peter K. Gunness '57, director of the financial aid office, said that probably about 50 per cent (the usual proportion) of the Harvard applicants had asked for College financial aid.

The recently announced elimination of the National Merit Scholarships may catch Harvard short of funds to cover every admitted student. Peterson said that in the past several years, no student has had to decline admission because of lack of financial aid.

Applications to the College have been field by 1316 men thus far, compared to 1162 at this time last year.

Although Harvard's projected number of applications is more than three times Radcliffe's, more Radcliffe than Harvard applications have been filed so far.

By November 15, 1637 women had applied, compared to 1522 on the same date last year.

Radcliffe's Rising

Last year's 2438 applications set a record for Radcliffe. The numbers have tended to rise in the last five years, except for the class of 1970, when applications fell from 2200 to 2100.

Miss O'Connor attributed the increase "not to population but to popularity." She said that in her travelling she is "trying to encourage people to understand we are not just a school for the girl with high test scores and lots of money."

Radcliffe has received 193 requests for College aid, but a financial aid spokesman said that they expect about 40 per cent of the applications to ask for aid. She said that the present figure is unrepresentative partly because financial aid applications are filed independently of College applications.

Neither College has begun to read applications yet. Both wait until each applications--including recommendations and transcript--is complete.