Watson Charges SDS With Violations

SDS Spokesmen Call Accusations "Trivial"

By Parker Donham

Dean Watson yesterday charged the executives of Harvard Radcliffe Students for a Democratic Society with repeatedly disregarding college regulations for undergraduate organizations.

A joint statement by the society's three co-chairmen, Ellen Klein '68, Marc R. Dyen '70, and Jared Israel, called the charges "essentially accurate but.... very trivial haggling."

Dyen said Watson had told him he was "under great pressure to get you kicked off campus. I don't want to, but you're going to have to start obeying rules."

Watson said that if the Society did not begin to comply with University regulations, its status as a recognized undergraduate organization would be reviewed by the Faculty Committee on Student Acivities.

He said hat various faculty members and undergraduate organizations had approached him, protesting what they called a double standard in applying regulations to SDS.

Watson charged:

* That SDS has held three unauthorized rallies in the Yard in the past two weeks.

* That SDS had distributed leaflets without prior approval from his office, and that they had announced a meeting in Sanders Theather before securing permission to use the room.

* That a graduate student was serving as treasurer for the Society, a violation of the regulations for undergraduate organizations.

* That teaching fellows, who hold University appointments, were in two executive posts in the society, also a violation of University regulations.

* That Jared Israel was serving as co-chairman of SDS while enjoying "no connection whatsoever with the University."

Israel acknowledged that he was not a regularly enrolled undergraduate, but said he was waiting to take generals in African History and a French examination before he could graduate.

Dyen said that, while no decision had been reached, he thought the society would be willing to comply with most of the rules Watson had cited. "There's nothing we can do about the rallies though," he added, "the University just doesn't allow us to hold them during class hours. We go in and tell Watson we're going to have them, and he tells us, 'well, you know I can't give you permission for it, but thanks for telling me.'"