RGA Refuses to Endorse Any of Proposed Reforms

RGA decided yesterday to withhold endorsement of four proposed constitutional changes which will be submitted to a college-wide referendum.

The discussion of the new Radcliffe Undergraduate Association constitution, proposed last week, was tabled to allow consideration of another constitution-- that of the more autonomous Radcliffe Union of Students. RGA also discussed a proposal to abolish all student government.

These three proposals, plus the option to retain RGA, will be placed on the referendum. Students will vote on each new Constitution as a whole the first week in December.

The RUS Constitution gives RUS "sole jurisdiction over changes in its Constitution, By-Laws, Procedure and Regulations." Mary I. Bunting, president of Radcliffe College, said that, in her opinion, the College Council (which now has final jurisdiction over RGA) would find the provision unacceptable. Mrs. Bunting chairs the Council.

Destroy Channels

Several RGA members objected to the RUS constitution's assertion of autonomy. "It would destroy meaningful channels of communication with the Administration," said Anne Rightor '69, a strong supporter of last week's RUA constitution.

RUS supporters argued that the power to make binding decisions could overcome student apathy. Rachel A. Radlo '68 said that RGA proposals don't express student opinion because RGA members "fear Council rejection."

After an hour of debate, Lucy M. Candib '68, read a proposal to abolish all student government. "RGA is a farce. We Radcliffe students have no majority on Radcliffe's important decision-making bodies," she said. Mrs. Bunting called abolition of government "a worthwhile proposal."

The referendum will also include two minor proposals--on the formation of a Joint Committee of students and administration and student representation on the College Council.