House Intramural Champs Split Title Tilts With Yale

Harvard's championship House teams broke even with Yale's intramural champs in New Haven Friday, winning in touch football, losing in tackle football, and tying in soccer.

Leverett's tackle team bowed to Yale's Jonathan Edwards-Branford, 14-8, despite a fourth-quarter Bunny rally. Quincy House played Timothy Dwight College to a scoreless tie in soccer. And Winthrop's prolific Puritans trounced Jonathan Edwards, 48-26, to clinch the touch football title.

After trailing Edwards-Branford for three quarters, the Bunny eleven began to come back. With less than three minutes to play and the score 14-0, quarterback Pete Karageannes scooted around the right end from 15 yards out to score. His two-point conversion pass was good, tipped into the waiting arms of Charlie Allen by a Yale defender.

The Bunnies kicked off, and on the first play from scrimmage, the ball was jarred loose from the Yale runner and Leverett Captain Ed Stump recovered. With still enough time to even the score and go ahead, Leverett fumbled the ball back to their opponents two plays later. The Elis ran the clock out to save their win.

Deadlock

The Quincy-Timothy Dwight soccer game was a stalemate from the opening kick-off to the last of two overtime periods. Neither team could score or be scored upon in a stiff wind which kept the ball in Quincy territory for almost the whole second half.

The hero of the game was Quincy goalie Mike Gradone. With less than a minute to play in the fourth quarter, Timothy Dwight was awarded a free kick in front of the Quincy goal. The shot came in low and hard to Gradone's left, but he lunged and came up with it to save the tie and force the double overtime.

In the championship touch football game, Winthrop scored at will against Yale's Jonathan Edwards College. Mel Craig put the Puritans on the scoreboard early in the first quarter on a pass from Fritz Hobbs. Minutes later, Hobbs took a quick pitch from stubby Walter Horak and galloped in for six more points.

Jonathan Edwards managed to tie the score at 18-18. They were threatening to score again when Winthrop's Pat Hindert intercepted a pass on the goal line to set up a third quick Harvard tally.

From then on, it was all Winthrop, as the Puritans added five more touchdowns to seal their 48-26 victory.

In six other House-College games, Harvard and Yale each won three apiece.

Kirkland shut out Stiles-Morse, 22-0, as sophomore quarterback Mike Gannon passed for one touchdown and ran for another. Dunster overcame a scoreless first half to beat Yale's Timothy Dwight-Sillman, 14-0. Dunster's George Mekras and Bo Bohannon ran for the scores. Eliot's Elephants turned back Davenport-Pierson. 14-6, sparked by a first-quarter scoring bomb from Bill Cherry to Bob Beaman.

In the other two tackle football games, Winthrop House was bombed by Trumball-Saybrook, 30-0, and Calhoun-Berkeley beat Quincy, 13-0.

Leverett's booters lost to Pierson College, 2-1, in the only other House soccer game played.