Zimmerman Cited for Bowl Action; Offense Is Second in Ivy League

The Crimson lost THE GAME, but quarterback Ric Zimmerman has been named Ivy Back of the Week for his performance in the Yale Bowl last Saturday.

Zimmerman passed for 289 yards--an Ivy League high for the season--and put his team momentarily in the lead with a fourth-quarter, fourth-down scoring toss to end Carter Lord.

The final Ivy League statistics place Zimmerman third in both individual total offense and forward passing, behind Domres of Columbia and Robertson of Cornell. Zimmerman threw for 926 yards, 9 touchdowns, and a 44.6 completion average.

The statistics revealed some surprises for Harvard. The team was second in total offense behind Yale, but its highly regarded defense ranked sixth in the league. Only Brown and Penn allowed more yards per game.

Halfback Vic Gatto was the second leading rusher in the league with 581 yards in 143 carries for a 4.1 yard average. Sophomore Ray Hornblower was fifth with 345 yards in 76 carries for a 4.5 yard average.

Gatto Third

Gatto and Hornblower placed third and fourth in scoring behind Moore of Princeton and Murphy of Cornell. Gatto scored 42 points and Hornblower 38.

Carter Lord was third in the league in pass receiving with 31 receptions for 612 yards.

Yale was second in team defense, with only Dartmouth giving up fewer yards per game. Brian Dowling, Yale's quarterback, was fourth in individual total of fense and fifth in forward passing.

Princeton was fifth in team offense and fourth in team defense. Its sophomore fullback Ellis Moore--who scored five touchdowns against Harvard--was third in individual rushing and led the league in scoring with 54 points.