Williams College Squad Smashes Cagers, 74-59; Full Court Press Fails

By Richard D. Paisner

The Harvard basketball team usually fattens up its record during pre-season excursions into the Little Three and the Yankee Conference. But last night, the Crimson lost its third game in four starts against unbeaten Williams College, 74-59.

Perhaps intimidated by 1000 howling partisans jammed into the Williams gym, the Crimson fell behind about halfway through the first half and never got back into the game.

Williams got strong performances from it four senior starters, led by 6'7" Bill Unterecker with 24 points and captain Jay Healy with 20.

Crimson Combinations

Harvard Coach Floyd Wilson experimented with several player combinations and a full court press, but the Harvard shooting hand was cold. All Wilson really accomplished by his shuttle tactic was to spread out the scoring: Barth Royer had 12 points, Bobby Johnson 11 and captain Bob Beller 10.

In the first start of his career, 6'9" Paul Waickowski tallied eight points while the Florida State transfer Mickey Norlander had seven.

Contest Cools

It was a contest for about 10 minutes. With the score knotted at 15, Harvard stopped scoring, Williams got hot, and by half-time the Crimson trailed 34-24.

Harvard tried a desperation full-court press late in the second half, but after the Crimson scored two quick baskets, Williams called time out, adjusted, and then held on to their lead for the rest of the game.

Harvard plays New Hampshire away Saturday.