Former N.Y.C. Health Commissioner Proposes New Mental Health Center

By Robert J. Samuelson

Dr. Leona Baumgartner, the former Commissioner of Health of New York City who just completed a survey of Cambridge health services is now studying the possibility of locating a new mental health center in Somerville.

The center, if built, would be just across the Cambridge-Somerville city line and near Cambridge City Hospital. It could serve both cities and share some facilities with Cambridge City Hospital, said Dr. Baumgartner, visiting professor at the Medical School.

Dr. Baumgartner spoke to a small group in the Cabot Hall Living Room on the results or her Cambridge report. In the report, she recommended that the City consolidate the health, hospital and welfare departments and create a commissioner of health to oversee the new unit.

Her recommendation is now before the City Council and will be reviewed at a public hearing Feb. 27. Dr. Baumgartner acknowledged that there has been some opposition to the proposals and said that she has been working hard to explain her recommendations to different groups.

Very Spotty

The proposal for a mental health center, to be financed primarily from state funds, grew out of Dr. Baumgartner's survey. Several months of studying the City, she said, convinced her that mental health services are now "very spotty."

There is a child guidance center and a day-care center, she said but these facilities should be expanded and others added in a new mental health center, Dr. Baumgartner suggested more space for permanent patients, and the addition of facilities for the treatment of narcotic addicts and alcoholics.

Dr. Baumgartner's suggestion for a mental health center is not the first in the City, but there has reportedly been some disagreement among different groups over the details of setting up a center.