Harvard Swim Team Douses Brown; Crimson Awesome in 75-19 Deluge

To absolutely no one's surprise the Harvard swim team walloped Brown 75-19 last night at the IAB.

The slaughter was so complete that the Crimson had the meet clinched after the 100-yard freestyle--the fifth to last event on the program.

In the most exciting race of the evening, the Bear's junior butterflyer Harold Mugford scored the only Brown first place by nipping Harvard's Rich Tompkins in the last few yards.

Tompkins actually had a pretty good meet. The junior teamed with John Bragg, Buzz Cummins and John Hyland to win the opening medley relay: then he joined up with Hyland, Jim Anderson and Bill Shrout to take the last event--the freestyle relay.

Unspectacular Winners

None of the winning times was anywhere near sensational. But several of the Crimson second-line swimmers did get a chance for points toward letters.

Sophomore Bob Hughes won the 500-yard freestyle and placed third in the 200-free; Steve Bulloch followed Hughes to the wire in the 500; and Dan Magraw and Jim Anderson swept the Individual Medley.

Murphy Wins Dive

In the dive red-headed Murphy twisted and turned to his fifth straight championship, trailed very closely by teammate Pete Alter, Both Murphy and Alter have improved spectacularly week by week and they could put on a good show at the Easterns in March.

Although All-American Bob Corris is still sidelined by mono, Harvard managed to take first and second in the breaststroke. Buzz Cummins turned in another fine performance, but he had to hustle in the last twenty yards to touch out rarely-used sophomore Dennis White.

All the excitement of the night was in the preliminary freshman meet which Harvard won 48-46.

The performance which gave Harvard a chance to cop the meet came in the next to last race--the 200-yard breaststroke. E.G. Nadeau flew off the last turn and came churning down the lane to wrest second place from a tiring Bruin.

Nadeau's crucial second and a win by the freestyle relay team--Eric Hanson, Elliot Saltzman, Ralph Todhunter and Chris Hashioka--gave the freshmen their second victory of the year.

Other frosh winners were Hanson in the 50-free. Nadeau in the Individual Medley, Dick Barrett in the fly and Hashioka in the 100-free.