Trackmen 2nd in Heps As Baker Sets Record

A powerful Army team gobbled up six of 13 first places and snapped Harvard's unprecedented winning streak, 53-40, in the Heptagonals Saturday. But the Crimson thoroughly outclassed the other Ivy squads and won the League championship for the sixth straight year.

Steve Schoonover vaulted 15 ft. 7 3/4 in. to break one of the four records that fell at Ithaca. The well-muscled junior didn't miss at all until he went for 16 ft. On his final try, after two close ones, he was visibly shaken by a PA announcement that was made as he was halfway down the runway.

Jim Baker captured the two-mile for the Crimson's second record-breaking win of the day. Baker nipped teammate Doug Hardin at the tape and they both shattered the 9:08.8 mark set by Yale's Bobby Mack in 1962. Baker ran 9:05.2 and Hardin 9:05.4.

Harvard's bid for a fourth consecutive Heps championship just never got started. Army collected 20 points to the Crimson's six in the first two events, and the Cadets were never in sight from then on. Yale and Cornell, which both looked threatening in the IC4A's last week, soon dropped out of contention.

The real duel developed between Harvard and Navy, and it wasn't decided until the last event -- the mile relay. The Crimson took a third there when Army's anchor man dropped the baton, and Harvard edged the Middies out by one point over-all.

Cornell Cops Fourth

Cornell, the host, finished fourth with 28 points. Yale had 21, Princeton 11, Dartmouth 9, Brown 4, Penn 3, and Columbia none.

The most exciting event of the day was the 600, billed as a two-man race between Yale's Mark Young -- the IC4A champ--and Cornell's speedster Bill Bruckel. On the last lap of the three-lap race, Young was leading with Bruckel and Harvard's Jeff Huvelle close behind.

But Bruckel took a corner too tightly, hit the wooden strip guarding the inside of the track, slipped and fell. His flying foot hit Young and tore his shoe off, but Young never broke stride. Huvelle and teammate Dave McKelvey did. The slightly injured Huvelle finished second anyway in 1:11.8 behind Young's 1:11.0. McKelvey was fourth.

The Crimson chalked up two other second places. Bob Benka had his best throw of the year in the shot--54 ft. 1/2 in.--and broke up what had looked like a certain Army 1-2 sweep.

Cadet Edges Andersen

Captain Wayne Andersen lost a tight duel with Army's Van Evans in the 60--their third head-to-head contest of the year. The little sophomore Cadet nosed Andersen out again in a photo-timer finish and tied Aggery Awori's meet record, set in 1963. Andersen's 6.2 time equalled his personal mark.

Dick Howe placed third in the mile with a creditable time of 4:16.7 on Cornell's relatively slow track. Army's Bob McDonald, who has run 4:04 this year, won in 4:13.1. Harvard's other individual placer was Ron Wilson, who finished fourth in the weight throw at 58 ft. 2 3/4 in.

The Heps ends Harvard's indoor season. The Crimson finished with a 7-1 dual meet record, won the Greater Bostons and placed 10th in the IC4A's.