Eliot Skaters Beat Yale To Win Intramural Title

The Elephants of Eliot House captured the Harvard-Yale intramural hockey championships for the second straight year Saturday by defeating Yale's Saybrook College 4-3. Dick Stiles scored the winning goal early in the third period.

First period goals by defenseman Bob Higgins and forward Tom Dingman and a second period goal by Bey Bigelow had given Eliot a 3-1 lead going into the final period. Following Stiles's goal, the tired Pachyderms outlasted two late Saybrook goals for the victory.

Yale was the roughest and dirtiest team they faced this year, according to Eliot's captain, Dudley Blodgett.

Jumbo Five Loses

Yale's Silliman College beat Eliot House, 97-85, for the Harvard-Yale intramural basketball championship Saturday at the IAB.

The key to Silliman's victory was superior conditioning. The Yale champions used a fast break offense to wear down the already tired Eliot squad, which had played two tough games earlier in the week in its successful drive for the Harvard championship.

Eliot used some sharp shooting to grab an early lead. But Silliman tied the game at intermission, and then surged ahead for good near the middle of the second half. The rest of Silliman's 12 point margin came in the last few minutes.

Dan Orlovsky (25 points) and Mike Aron checked in with their usual hot shooting games for Eliot. Dean Rau, the team's other big scoring threat, operated at half speed after suffering an ankle injury in one of last week's games.

Winthrop Sinks

Winthrop House fell just four points short Saturday in its attempt to be the first Harvard swim team to beat Yale this year. But Yale's Berkeley College edged out the Lions, 27-23, to win the annual intramural swim championships held at the IAB.

Bruce Howard and Bart Rocca, key men in Winthrop's drive to the House championship last week, were unable to turn the trick again against Berkeley.

Yale won the first four events, with only Howard's second place finishes in the 50 yard freestyle and the 50 yard breaststroke keeping Winthrop within range.

With two events remaining, Winthrop needed first and second place in the 50 yard butterfly to have any hope of tying Yale. Bart Rocca came through with a clutch win, but Yale captured second place and the meet.

Winthrop won the final 100 yard freestyle relay, as Rocca, Howard, Jeff Rhome, and Dave Shraver cut the final margin to four points.