Nayar Breezes in Singles At Squash Championships

Anil Nayar proved himself the best in the nation as Harvard brought home all the silver in the Intercollegiate Squash Championships at Wesleyan this weekend.

Nayar captured the singles title: Captain Craig Stapleton won the consolation tournament, and Harvard retained the four-man team trophy, squeaking past Navy by two tournament points.

Never really pressed, Nayar polished off his first five opponents 3-0. He then smashed Navy's Bob Earl 15-8, 15-5, 15-9. A rival coach watching the match noted that the sophomore marvel made only four errors in the three games.

In Sunday's final, Nayar drew Peter Martin a sophomore at McGill who had defeated Scott Ryan of Navy 3-1 in the morning semis. The young Canadian gave the Indian National Champ his only battle of the tournament before bowing 15-3, 15-12, 12-15, 18-15. Coaches and spectators called it the finest intercollegiate match in memory.

Stapleton Rebounds

Stapleton rebounded with a vengeance from his second-round loss to pile up valuable team points in the consolation tourney. He smashed accomplished players from Dartmouth. Navy, Princeton, and Williams, all by impressive 3-0 scores, to hit the finals against ambidextrous E. K. Carmody of Yale. Stapleton edged the big switch-hitter in a bruising match, 12-15, 7-15, 17-14, 17-15, 15-12.

Harvard's only major disappointment came in the quarter-finals when Jose Gonzalez lost to the second-seeded Ryan, the only man able to beat Nayar this year. With his touch shots made ineffectual by the warm court conditions. Gonzalez attempted to slug it out with the speedy Middie and fell short, 15-12, 4-15, 15-13, 18-16.