Thirteen Professors Awarded Fellowships By Guggenheim Fund

Thirteen Harvard professors have received 1967 Guggenheim Fellowship Awards.

The University of California at Berkeley gained 20 fellowships, the most in the nation. Columbia led the Ivy League with 15, while the combined Ivy total was 54.

The Harvard professors and their proposed fields of research are Dr. Frank P. Casa, assistant professor of Romance Languages and Literature -- the function of the king in Spanish drama of the 17th century; Dr. Giles Constable, Henry Charles Lea Professor of Medieval History -- the monastic movements of the 11th and 12th centuries; Dr. Albert M. Craig, associate professor of Japanese History -- bureaucratic modernization in non-Western societies.

Also receiving fellowships were Dr. Arthur P. Dempster, professor of Theoretical Statistics -- the concepts and reasoning processes of statistical inference; Dr. A. Stone Freedberg, associate professor of Medicine -- the effects of thyroid and other hormonal alternations on atrial intracellular potentials and jonic movements; Dr. Kenneth J. Gergen, assistant professor of Social Psychology -- an examination of benefice as an instrument of international policy.

Others included Dr. Walter Gilbert, associate professor of Biophysics, genetic control mechanisms in bacteria and viruses; Dr. Frederick A. Olagson, professor of Education and Philosophy - a study of rational explanation in history; Dr. Thomas F. Pettigrew, associate professor of Social Psychology -- a study of the consequences of varying racial compositions in public schools.

Other winners were Dr. Keith R. Porter, professor of Biology - studies in cell fine structure; Dr. Jakob Rosenberg, professor of Fine Arts, emeritus -- Renaissance and Baroque art in northern Europe; Dr. Donald Stone, Jr., assistant professor of Romance Languages and Literatures- - French drama, 1500-1630; and Dr. John Tate, professor of Mathematics -- arithemetic algebraic geometry