45 More Join 'Won't Go' War Protest

Mass Signing Follows Meeting of Strategists

By Lee H. Simowitz

Forty-five men added their names to the "We Won't Go" statement last night, declaring that they will not accept military service while the United States is fighting in Vietnam.

The new names brought to 131 the total number of men who have signed the document. The first group of 86 signatures appeared with the statement as an advertisement in Monday's CRIMSON.

Most of the signers of the original statement were Harvard and M.I.T. undergraduates and graduate students.

The mass signing followed a meeting attended by approximately 150 persons, who argued for more than two hours over whether or not the signers should combine as an organized unit and what programs the unit would pursue.

The meeting broke up, however, with the organizational question deferred until another meeting next week.

Many of the speakers emphasized that draft resistance must be seen as a form of protest against the Vietnam war.

"The draft is the most vulnerable aspect of the war," said Kenneth B. Frisof '68, a spokesman for the signers. "A million or more Americans don't want to go and fight in it."

One speaker described the movement as "neither a suicide squad nor a draft evasion machine, but based on the serious decision of whether you can enter the army while the Vietnam war is going on."

Frisof told the meeting that the action of signing the statement was probably not illegal, either as a violation of draft law or as an act of conspiracy.

He said that 100 University of Wisconsin students had volunteered to act as "a national clearing house" for similar statements. A national convention for persons having signed the statements may be held this summer, Frisof said. He had earlier estimated that 500 to 700 men have already signed such pledges across the country.

One person present at the meeting identified himself to reporters as a member of the "Nazi Reichs Party of America." He described the meeting as "disgusting," but added that he had come only on his own initiative "to see what kinds of people you have here."