Crews Dominate Regattas At Rutgers and Dartmouth

Lights Beat M.I.T.; Snare Biglin Bowl

HANOVER, N.H., April 22--The Harvard lightweights swept the Biglin Bowl Regatta over M.I.T. and Dartmouth Saturday for the first time since 1958. The Connecticut River offered the "rough-water trained" Harvard boats a swift following current which they used to turn in their finest rowing to date.

Harvard opened up a length lead in the first quarter of the Varsity race. They settled down to along 32 strokes and pulled out another length with captain Gib Vincent rowing four for the ailing Bob Jenkins.

Stroke Swings

Ever-mindful of the six-minute barrior for 2000 meters and the Tech sprint, the Crimson raised the stroke over the last quarter-mile and crossed the line at a nicely-swinging 36. They finished in 6:05 without any challenge from the spent Tech boat.

After a mid-week shake-up with the third Varsity, the reseated JV (Bow, Phil Tonks; No. 2 A1 Keith; No. 3 Bill Endicott; No. 4 Fred Fisher; No. 5 Tom Hodges; No. 6 Bob Baker; No. 7 Vidar Jorgenson; Stroke, Garrett Olmstead; Cox, Bill Terranova) jumped off the line to a quick one-length lead.

The higher stroking Tech shell, however, hung on stubbornly just off Harvard's rudder as Dartmouth dropped back. Neither boat was able to move on the other until the sprint when Tech came back two seats, but Harvard held them off and crossed the line at a 36 in 6:13.5.

In the morning, the third Varsity and second Freshman crews grabbed three and five-length victories respectively over M.I.T. with Dartmouth finishing third.