Track Team Tops Tigers, 110-44

By Robert P. Marshall jr.

The Harvard track team massacred Princeton in the Stadium Saturday and buried a few ghosts along the trail of its 110-44 devastation. The Crimson outclawed the Tigers to 14 of 18 first places, and swept the running events by a 73-9 margin.

Junior Trey Burns registered his first victory over Princeton's Heptagonal champion Jack Endrikat in the 880. Endrikat took the lead after 500 yards, but Burns caught him on the last turn and finished strongly in 1:54.4. Crimson sophomore Tom Callahan came in second, and the crushed Tiger star finished out of the money.

Jim Baker obliterated another personal nemesis, Princeton's Alan Andreini, in a mile sweep that broke the Tiger's back. The junior from England held a 30-yard lead for almost the entire race and, despite tiring in the stretch, recorded his best time over, 4:11.1.

Half of Princeton's points came in the first five events, and the Tigers held an early lead. But when Doug Hardin (4:16.6) and Dick Howe (4:19.6) followed Baker in the mile, the romp was on.

An hour later, in the two-mile, Harvard completed its amazing shutout of the Princeton Big Three -- Endrikat, Andreini, and Ritchie Geisel. Hardin and Baker ran away from the field and Crimson sophomore Tim McLoone held off Geisel's third-place bid in the last lap, finishing 23 seconds behind Hardin's winning 9:18.6.

Harvard captain Wayne Andersen captured both dashes and Frank Haggerty scored another double in the hurdles. Haggerty was even with Princeton's Paul Heineken over the last hurdle and lunged to the afternoon's most dramatic win in the 120-yard highs.

The Crimson beef trust had little trouble with the Nassaus. Sophomores Dick Benka and Bruce Hedendal led sweeps of the shot and discus respectively, and Ron Wilson and Charlie Ajootian finished one-two in the hammer.

Harvard won both relays and Dave McKelvey nipped Flash Huvelle in the 440 for Harvard's other wins.

The Tigers took the javelin and the three jumping events--though Princeton's Nat Mackey had to break a 30-year old record to win the pole vault.