Rugby Team Wins 9-6 Over Boston Veterans

The Harvard rugby team stood off a rally in the waning minutes of play Saturday to whip the Boston Rugby Club, 9-6, and win its second straight game of the season.

The Boston squad, made up of veterans in their thirties from throughout Massachusetts, was previously unbeaten.

The Crimson grabbed a quick lead when fly-half John Dickinson drop-kicked a 30-yard penalty goal in the first three minutes. A minute later he pounced over the line with middle-of-the-back Sione Tuppouniua for an unconverted try that put the Harvards ahead, 6-0.

Harvard only scored once again. Dickinson booted another penalty goal from nearly forty yards away. After that, complacency set in and Boston made its move.

The older ruggers tried to wear down their opponents. They had scored a dropkick conversion from a scrum in the first half, and in the second they poured it on, using a steady kicking strategy. The Harvard forwards seemed to corrode under the pressure.

The Boston team made a try that went unconverted in the second half to give them their six points, but after that, the forwards held on. When the whistle blew, the Crimson's foes were uncomfortably close to the goal line.

Good Gallop

The B team looked strong in an impressive 11-3 victory over Boston's second fifteen. Harvard scored first on a try by New Zealander Denny Walls, followed by a conversion by Dick Domaigne.

The squad boosted its 5-0 lead when wing Tom Choquette scored on a gallop from midfield. Choquette later assisted in the final try in a passing combination with Steve Zeitlin just after Boston scored its only tally of the day.

This Saturday the team travels to New York to play the New York Rugby Club. It returns to Cambridge the next day to tackle a squad from Buenos Aires on tour in the U.S.