Columbia Shocks Nine, Beats Peters, 4-3

Lions Tame Sophomore Hurler To Gain First League Victory

Columbia picked on Harvard's ace pitcher Ray Peters to score the biggest upset of the Eastern League season, stunning the Crimson ball team, 4-3, at Baker Field yesterday. The Lions, winless in League play before yesterday, reached the Crimson righthander for a home run in the sixth and a homer and two-run double in the eighth.

The Harvard hitters built up a two-run lead in the second inning but blew a chance to bust the game open in the top of the eighth, when they amassed four hits and two walks with only one runner crossing the plate.

Junior Bill Cobb, debuting at third base, opened the Crimson eighth with a single. Outfielders Dan Hootstein and Carter Lord knocked Columbia's starter George Bunting out of the box with two more singles. Lord's drove Cobb home and sent Hoot to third.

With Jeff Hall, a good bunter, at the plate, Harvard tried to widen its 3-1 lead with a suicide squeeze bunt -- a play that won the Penn game last Saturday. But this time Hall missed, and the suicide was on. Hootstein was tagged out in a rundown, and the alert Lions caught Lord off first, to clear the bases with an unusual double play.

Frustrating Frame

Hall then doubled, and Pete Karegeannes and Joe O'Donnell both walked, loading the bases. But second baseman Dick Manchester flied out, ending a frustrating trame for the Crimson.

Bunting, a heavy hitter who stays in the lineup when he is not hurling, tied into Peters' first pitch in the bottom of the eighth to narrow the margin to 3-2. A single, a double, then a two-run double by Richie Brown produced the tying and winning runs.

Harvard scored two runs in the second. Hall singled, Karegeannes doubled, and O'Donnell drove them both home with a single.

Columbia's star shortstop, Steve Richmond, gave the Lions their first run with a solo blast in the sixth.

Peters pitched the whole game for Harvard, striking out ten, but giving up nine hits. The Crimson also collected nine hits from Bunting and winning pitcher Paul Brosnan.

Harvard's League record is now 3-2 Columbia's 4-1 mark includes a 22-5 drubbing by Cornell, a team Harvard beat 4-1.