Baseball, Tennis Squads Trample Brandeis

Nine Triumphs 16-0

Harvard clinched the Greater Boston League baseball title with a 16-0 win over inept Brandeis at Waltham yesterday, but saw runnerup Boston College named to the NCAA regional playoffs in the Crimson's place.

In addition to the Eagles, Dartmouth, UMass, and Holy Cross were chosen to vie for the right to represent New England in the national championships at Omaha, Neb., June 12. The top-seeded Indians blanked Harvard, 5-0, and boast a 15-5 overall record. Massachusetts, the Yankee Conference winner, is 14-9.

Naming B.C. as fourth seed rankles the Crimson players, who were eyeing a tournament berth for themselves. Harvard beat the Eagles here last month, 5-3, and the B.C. record is an unspectacular 7-3-3.

Third-seeded Holy Cross will play here Saturday in a game which will provide Harvard a chance to show up the tournament selection committee.

In yesterday's clincher, junior righthander Bob Lincoln fired five and two-third innings of hitless ball before the weak Judges reached him. Senior Larry Melfa came in in the seventh and had an easy time, striking out four of the ten men he faced.

Lincoln picked up the win, raising his record to 3-1.

Harvard's attack continued at the awesome clip it discovered in Wednesday's 11-2 pounding of Northeastern. The Crimson collected 22 hits, including five triples.

Bill Cobb, Joe O'Donnell, Jeff Hall, and Lincoln had three hits apiece and Carter Lord, Dan Hootstein, and Pete Karegeannes each tagged two. Looking like a lumberjack at work. Lord clobbered the longest ball of the spring -- a 400-foot home run to left.

Harvard will try to finish with a clean GBL slate when it closes the season here against Boston University Tuesday.

Admission to the baseball game against Holy Cross and a track meet against Army Saturday will be by coupon no. 39. Additional admissions can be purchased at Gate 2 of Soldier's Field for $1.   ab  r  h Cobb  5  1  3 Smith  6  1  1 Hootstein  4  2  2 Emery  2  0  0 Lord  4  2  2 McCandlish  0  0  0 O'Donnell  4  3  3 Chiofaro  1  0  0 Karegaennes  3  2  2 Strandemo  2  1  1 Hall  6  2  3 Manchester  6  2  1 Lincoln  4  0  3 Melfia  2  0  1 Totals  49  16  22