'Cliffe Housing Committee Hears Girls' Complaints

By Anne DE Saint phalle

The recently formed committee on Radcliffe housing met for the first time last Thursday to hear student testimony on the "lack of diversity" in the college's living arrangements.

Jacqueline Lindsay '68, member of the committee and coordinator of the hunger strike that led to formation of the group, said yesterday that 'the salient point in the testimonies was that almost all students have to live in the same conditions for four years.

Four girls spoke before the committee--two from a dormitory, one from an off-campus house, and one who had her own apartment. In addition, a student who had conferred with Mary I. Bunting, president of Radcliffe, about the plans for the fourth house, gave a critique of those plans.

Miss Lindsay said the girls complained of dilapidated buildings and overcrowding. One girl, she said, had lived in an economy double for three years.

The trend to uniformity will continue in the new house, she said. Although each girl will have her own room, activities will be centered around the house instead of the dormitory, she said, and dormitories will lose their individuality.

Mrs. Bunting is slated to speak for the administration at a future meeting of the committee. She as yet has said nothing definite about how many seniors will be permitted to have their own apartments when the fourth house is finished.

But Miss Lindsay said that Mrs. Bunting at present wants to limit the number of students living off-campus to 150, including seniors, married students and commuters. There are now 100 students in all living off campus.

Miss Lindsay said the committee was "receptive" to the students. Helen Gray, outgoing president of the Radcliffe Alumnae Association, said yesterday. "The girls were very effective. I'm in the process of being educated."

The committee will meet three times before it announces its recommendations Friday. The Radcliffe Council, a group of trustees chaired by Mrs. Bunting, will act upon them in its meeting Monday, June 5