Tennis Team Strafes Army, Cornell By Identical Scores of 8-1 Indoors

The Harvard tennis team prepared for Wednesday's season finale against Yale with crushing 8-1 wins over Cornell and Army on the indoor courts here this weekend.

The Cornell match Friday was the quickest of the season. Only the number two match went to three sets, as Bernie Adelsberg wore down his opponent, 6-8, 6-2, 6-4. The most decisive victories were 6-2, 6-2 singles wins by sophomores John Levin (one) and Rooky Jarvis (four) and a 10-2 doubles conquest by the same players.

The only Harvard loser was sophomore Steve Devereux.

In Saturday's battle with Army, Levin lost in straight sets to Barry Conway, an outstanding junior who had previously registered victories over the top men from Penn and Yale. The rest of the lineup had a surprisingly easy day.

Adelsberg was particularly impressive in outslugging his opponent, 6-3, 6-4, Tempering his formidable power with control when necessary, the junior showed signs of regaining his top form.

The day's most interesting match was at first doubles, where Levin and Jarvis countered the power of Army's top two singles players with effective lobbing and some blistering overheads of their own. The Crimson duo won a marathon first set, 17-15, dropped the second, 6-4, and captured the third, 6-4, taking the last four games.

Both captain Brian Davis (three) and Devereux (six) inundated their Cadets, 6-1, 6-1. Davis, attacking net vigorously and unrelentingly, seemed incapable of missing.

The doubles teams of Adelsberg and Davis (two) and Jose Gonzalez and Dave Hodges (three) were equally devastating in recording 6-2, 6-0 and 6-1, 6-2 wins respectively.