H-Y Track Team to Face Britons

A combined Harvard-Yale track team will face an Oxford-Cambridge team in White City Stadium. London, on June 13. The strong American team is expected to even the biennial series at 11-all.

The English team features two former Harvard athletes. Seven-foot high jumper Chris Pardee '66 is considered unbeatable by his former teammates. Legendary Mike Hauk '67 is a large question mark in the sprints. His rocky two-year career at Harvard was highlighted by his victory in the Heptagonal 220 in 1965, but be gained most fame by such feats as corseting his belly before running in the Boston Garden. The coaching in England, however, may have made a new runner of Hauk.

Harvard coach Bill McCurdy will be in charge of a squad composed of 16 Harvards and 13 Yalies. The meet is scored solely on the basis of first places, and McCurdy has a top performer in every event.

Two potential winners for McCurdy, come from the strong Harvard freshman team: 4:07 miler Roy Shaw and 1:49.3 half-miler Keith Colburh. Four more wins should come from the Crimson varsity men. Captain Wayne Andersen should edge Hauk in the 100, and the discus should go to either sophomore Bruce Hedendal or junior Ron Wilson. Juniors Steve Schoonover in the pole vault and Frank Haggerty in the 440 hurdles look unbeatable. Schoonover will be shooting for 16 feet.

Three burly Yale men could give McCurdy 5 more firsts. Captain Bob Greenlee won the IC4A shot put with a throw of 55 feet, and sophomore Calvin Hill has jumped 25 feet in the broad jump and 50 feet in the triple jump. Newton's Mark Young is IC4A 440 champ and could also win the 220.

The high hurdles is the weakest event for the Oxford-Cambridge team and should fall to Yalies Moore or Evans. Crimson Javelin thrower Henry Bernson is rated about even with his English opponent.

Crimson two-miler Jim Baker may not receive a victory as a homecoming present. Al Altman of Oxford is the South African record holder at three miles and would be a sure bet in the two mile. If Alman runs the mile, he will have to battle both Shaw and Yale's 4:08 miler, Steve Bittner.

Baker and Harvard freshman broad jumper Bob Galliers are the only two Englishmen on the Harvard-Yale team.

Tickets will be available at the gate. Coupon books will not be good.

THE SQUAD

100: Andersen (H), Robinson (Y)

220: Young (Y), Jewett (H)

440: Young (Y), Hobbs (Y)

880: Colburn (H), Burns (H)

Mile: Shaw (H), Bittner (Y)

2-Mile: Baker (H), Hardin' (H)

120 Hurdles: Moore (Y), Evans (Y)

440 Hurdles: Haggerty (H), Rony (Y)

Shot Put: Greenlee (Y), Benka (H)

Discus: Hedendal (H), Wilson (H)

Javelin: Berson (H), Champi (H)

Hammer: Wilson (H), Ajootian (H)

Fole Valut: Schoonover (H), Brady (Y)

High Jump: Evans (Y), Rall (Y)

Broad Jump: Hill (Y), Galliers (H)

Triple Jump: Hill (Y), Opheme-Poeng (Y)

440 Relay: Robinson (Y), Jewett (H)

Jones (Y), Andersen (H)